OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: opinion on this pattern  (Read 10386 times)

Offline Vabirddog

Re: opinion on this pattern
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 11:12:03 AM »
That is one shot, 130+or - i count and 9-10 in the center. If you can repeat/average that count it is a lethal pattern at that distance. On an 8.5 by 11 you are looking for a minimum 100 even distribution with at least 10 in the 3" center circle. This is minimum lethal every time.

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 02:25:01 PM »
That boggles my mind. I have a BPS with the IC .665 and it will approach of beat 200 pellets with nearly anything in a 10" circle. That said if it does that every time it will kill birds. reflexl

Offline learn2hide

• Check out www.hunterslink.com "The Break TV" on f
    • HuntersLink and The Break
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 08:43:56 PM »
something wierd going on...that stuff should be doing much better...gun really doesn't like something or you got a bad box of shells
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

Offline d.winsor

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 02:13:29 PM »
I shoot a Briley straight rifle .665 choke and it is lights out at 40 yards with the WLB #5 3" and 3.5" shells.  I don't have a clue what is going on with your setup.  This is only the second post that I have read that had a bad experience with LB shells.  Normally the longbeard shells will make a moderate choke look good.  I shoot with a .665 but my SX3 came with a .655, I wouldn't shoot it because I thought it would be too tight for longbeards.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 02:41:57 PM »
What temps did you pattern in? My bps 3" with a 22" barrel is kind of finicky when temperatures get below 50 degrees. Don't know if that could be an issue or not where you live. Like the other posters said it could just be a bad box of shells, or your gun just doesn't like that combo. Hope you get it figured out, but that pattern will still take a turkey.

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 03:15:45 PM »
d Windsor could you post that pic of your target. I also have a .665 Kicks GT.  :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline d.winsor

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 05:29:19 PM »
Tracker #1, do you have another gun to shoot the WLB #5 out of.  It would eliminate the BPS being the problem.

Twowithone I don't own a camera as I don't take pictures, also I don't count holes so I don't keep targets.  Also I am not very computer literate, I would not know how to post a picture on a thread.  I wish I did.  Even if I did know how to, I would have to drive 3 hours to where I pattern my gun to shoot it again for a pattern to send you.  Wish I could help you.

Offline Clint Shook

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 07:31:06 AM »
I was going through the same with my bps.   Shot a 655 and my pattern was same as yours at top of the post.   Tried 670 jelly which was better but still not tight.    Then the IC 665 and wow.  I could not believe the difference.  I've ask a lot of people and the concensus is a IC 665 or 675 is the ticket for bps guns.  Some guns prefer one diameter over the other.  Good luck. 

This is 25 yds as I dial my scope in on target. 

Offline learn2hide

• Check out www.hunterslink.com "The Break TV" on f
    • HuntersLink and The Break
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 10:54:57 PM »
just proves you never know...my Super X2 which is an Invector Plus barrel like the BPS didn't like an Inidan Creek .665 or .675 it did just about the same with a Carlson .665 that was 1/2 the price and the .680 choke that came with it was less still.  But it loves my Rob Roberts Final Strut .660...went from 160 patterns to 215 patterns with that choke with Hevi13 #6's.  Not that the 160 wouldn't do the job but I knew the gun and shell were capable of more.  Much like this situation, it's obvious the LB's can perform better, kind of nice to have all this info from you fine fellas out here to assist in decision making.  Just have to find something that works. :anim_25:
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!