OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Taxidermy Nightmare!  (Read 4778 times)

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
Taxidermy Nightmare!
« on: March 17, 2014, 03:15:25 PM »
Last spring a friend and I sent two Merriam turkeys to be mounted to someone here on Old gobbler. Found out today they sold there business to someone one else and  without asking us if it was ok,  our birds were  included and to make a long story short we have no mount or birds and informed most likely trashed. As you all know it takes a lot of money to hunt out of state, mail birds to be mounted, time, etc etc... To say I'm sick is a understatement. I'm sure most of you guys have a taxidermist you have and trust, this is a sad mistake we made and  I will not make it again and I hope it does not happen to any you here on Old gobbler with any of your trophy's. For any that might be a newbie do your research on the taxidermist before you send them your trophy. Best wishes to all here on a great turkey season.

Offline longbeard11

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Grunt, Gobble, & Gills Outdoors
Re: Taxidermy Nightmare!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 03:28:21 PM »
OH MAN!!!! Absolutely hate to hear this!! I would be livid if this happened to me, especially if I had spent all the money to go out west and it was a once in a lifetime trophy!! I would keep digging if I were you to try and get some sort of information on where your birds are, I really hope you find them and everything is ok.   

I have a taxidermist here in WV that has done all of my mounts and does an amazing job.  I will tell you this though, I would let alot of people mount a deer for me,  but I definitely wouldnt let just anyone do a turkey mount!! They are a totally different ball game when it comes to good looking mounts and some guys can do them and some guys say they can, but cant!! You get what you pay for!

So sorry to hear this man!! Absolutely sick for you.

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 09:29:55 PM »
Man that sucks. I am sorry that this has happened. I would be so angry also if I was in your situation. I hope it all works out for you....

Offline fallsflight

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 10:24:09 PM »
That is too bad.  Hope you end up getting them back so you can send elsewhere.  I personally send all my waterfowl to Todd Huffman of Birdman Studios in Colorado.  I have not had a turkey mounted by him yet, but all waterfowl come back looking alive.  As already stated turkeys and actually birds in general takes a really good taxidermist to get it done right. 

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

memert116

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 06:22:29 PM »
I am SO sorry that has happened!!  I wish you had some recourse.  I have a guy here in St. Louis that is amazing and has been in business for years and years.  He does amazing work and has become a friend. 

My heart goes out to you!!!

Offline WALKER80

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 11:01:55 PM »
Y'all should at least get your beards and spurs back even if it was a major screw up on their part.

Offline Birds only

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 01:37:51 PM »
Sorry for your experience. Not the way to do business.
www.birdsonly1.shutterfly.com