OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal 7.5 lead pattern

Started by KYStalker, March 12, 2014, 11:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlhoot

Easy now fellas. If you don't like 7 shot , don't use it.
Besides they haven't made this shell for years and years??  Not sure why?
I like 5 lead if using lead, so do a lot of others , they still make it, it is my choice and it works for me.
Don't see many turkey hunters grabbin up field loads with any size shot. Most like big power loads .
The flashier the better.
Not much longer to wait til season now.   :anim_25: :z-twocents:

surehuntsalot

Quote from: highwaygun on March 26, 2014, 11:21:39 PM
Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 26, 2014, 09:25:56 PM
Quote from: highwaygun on March 26, 2014, 07:43:18 PM
Just for the record to all of those that say they have killed turkeys with 7.5 lead at 40 yards and beyond. Dont kid yourself you just got lucky and stunned the bird long enough to KILL him with your foot. 7.5 lead isnt a turkey load and never will be. Hell I shoot a big 10 and I could get a 3oz load of it from nitro but wont ever dream of using it. Its a 30 yard shell plain and simple. Some people need to reevaluate there methods. And I dont care what red dog or red wing or whoever said I wont even feel comfortable taking them 3/2/7.5 federals squirrel hunting because theyd be lucky to kill a tree rat at 40 and beyond ranges. If you kill them close then great use the dove loads but if your gonna try to take long shots do everyone a favor including the turkey at get something with more lead in its pencil.
I can see why you carry a 10,I don't know and really don't care where you got your opinion on this subject.I have used this shell on several birds in the past,and none were stunned,or stepped on with a foot,they were dead.Some were taken between 30-35yds,some were between 35-40yds.
I don't need to reevaluate  any methods,I have been hunting and shooting at these birds for 35-40 years,
in that time I have shot at one time or another just about every shell that has been made for turkey hunting,and some that were not.Have never lost a bird (because I don't take 50+yd shots), have missed 4 times,but those were my fault,not the shells.
If people turkey hunted,instead of turkey shooting,you could use 2-3/4 High Brass shells,which by the way has killed several birds for me over the years,and you're going to love this,the 2-3/4" 1-1/4oz #7.5 was one of my favorites.
I call bs that you are knocking them stiff at 40 yards with 7.5's. You need to get a range finder because your mistaken. We are talking real yards here. We are not measuring with same ruler you used to convince the wife its 12 inches. These shells are sub par and shouldnt be used with all the better options out there. People like you are the ones that setup newcomers on this site and to the sport for failure. The correct response from a person with your experience should be " yes they will kill a turkey but use your head and take high percentage shots because the pellets are small and they lose KE quick. If you miss judge the yardage and take a shot thats to far you wont like the outcome."  And to the point of why I use a ten is because it is superior to any 12 ga combo on the market. if you dont believe me ill send you pattern pics or you can check the 10ga section on this site. Oh yeah and about you never losing a bird I say you need to reevaluate that one also because if you pull the trigger and he doesnt ride in the truck you lost him. Now ask me how many I have lost with the 10 and youll know now why I use it.

Now I can't tell what range I'm shooting at,ok you think what you want to,you don't seem to have a problem with that.I know why you carry a 10,because it's about the size of your mouth,loud and makes noise that is not needed. I don't think that I am the problem to the newcomers,to me it's the one's that get on here and talk about cramming the guns full of any of the HTL shells and blasting away as soon as they see the head pop up.We know who we are don't we??? I don't shoot long range,can you say the same???I doubt it,you are one of the ones I'm referring to.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

learn2hide

Everyone might need to calm down a bit...didn't realize my comment about confusing novices would start off such a storm.  :-)  For the record guys, done some research, now I know why I don't see that shell around here in MO for sale...as you stated, discontinued.  Also doesn't appear anyone else makes one like it.  I said before I have no doubt that load would smoke a gobbler in a good line of sight/range shooting situation. But I do believe given what we know now and the options that are available there is no reason to risk it.  I personally don't even like lead 6's...not cause they can't do the job just prefer bigger shot.  I shoot HTL 6's and 7's and can attest to both of them crushing birds.  I also shoot lead 5's and have shot lead 4's before but prefer pellet counts.  Saw my dad shoot a fall turkey once with a dove load cause he forgot his shells at home...but she was also about 17 yards away.  I even do the same thing with ducks, shooting #1 steel almost always, not because it's required but when they get hit with it by and large they don't cripple, they go down.  That's the key for us veterans or novices right?...gear up with the equipment you need to take out a bird quick and clean at the range you are practiced and comfortable with.  Obviously that can change depending on the guy...just be accountable for your choices.  If you are a guy that likes to push that 40 yard envelope or just makes a mistake then the #7 lead is going to be an issue for you and your target eventually.
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

Number17

Somebody says this:
"I call bs that you are knocking them stiff at 40 yards with 7.5's. You need to get a range finder because your mistaken. We are talking real yards here"

So he gets a reply like this:
Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 27, 2014, 09:44:10 PM
Now I can't tell what range I'm shooting at................ I don't shoot long range,can you say the same???

When just a few hours ago, the same poster claimed this:
Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 13, 2014, 10:21:52 PM
alot of it has to do with the trauma of so many hits at one time.I used these shells for several years,and I know they are 7.5's,but they will smoke one at 40yds,I know.

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 24, 2014, 10:35:38 PM
shot them for some years myself,and yes they killed birds at 40

This is exactly the stuff I'm talking about. And I'm not trying to specifically call anybody out, but this is a prime example of how confusing these discussions can become. Hypocrisy, for what it's worth.
Some people are gearing up for the year with little other guidance, and some others may be gearing up for the first time, and this is the kind of info they have to sort through from the "veterans".

Is 40yd long range or not?
Is a #7.5 lead load reliable enough for turkeys at that range?
If a pro used to shoot it, it must be a great choice..................right?

For the last few months we've heard over and over that #6 lead is still just #6 lead no matter what fancy new hull it's launched from, and that we should consider this the minimum payload for 40 yard turkey shots. But apparently there are some that don't agree with that.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

learn2hide

When someone calls BS and says you need a rangefinder, I can see why a guy would get defensive...and there is some truth to the trauma with more pellets argument but the returns of kinetic energy diminish quickly with smaller and smaller shot...50 extra pellets that don't penetrate well amount to a slap upside the head rather than lights out.  I don't think 40 yards is "long range" with a 12 gauge and a turkey choke but I've also shot birds that I knew were inside 40 and then realized they were a few more steps away than I thought.  I think the message is pretty clear...if you're going to shoot inside 40 yards then find the load/choke that works for you and go to town.  Biggest thing is take the ethics of being a hunter seriously and to do the work and get your pattern/POI/POA down and it honestly won't matter much what you pick.  Unfortunately with the new shells and their marketing as well as these chokes there are a lot of guys reaching out further and further pushing it.
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

highwaygun

Quote from: Number17 on March 27, 2014, 11:19:03 PM
Somebody says this:
"I call bs that you are knocking them stiff at 40 yards with 7.5's. You need to get a range finder because your mistaken. We are talking real yards here"

Now I can't tell what range I'm shooting at................ I don't shoot long range,can you say the same???

alot of it has to do with the trauma of so many hits at one time.I used these shells for several years,and I know they are 7.5's,but they will smoke one at 40yds,I know.

This is exactly the stuff I'm talking about. And I'm not trying to specifically call anybody out, but this is a prime example of how confusing these discussions can become. Hypocrisy, for what it's worth.
Some people are gearing up for the year with little other guidance, and some others may be gearing up for the first time, and this is the kind of info they have to sort through from the "veterans".

For the last few months we've heard over and over that #6 lead is still just #6 lead no matter what fancy new hull it's launched from, and that we should consider this the minimum payload for 40 yard turkey shots. But apparently there are some that don't agree with that.
you are 100% correct. the quotes you posted is why i add my .02! It just floors me that he can say that he doesnt take long shots but states that he has ground checked them with 7.5 lead. 40 yards with 7.5 lead is a long shot to long!

surehuntsalot

Quote from: highwaygun on March 28, 2014, 12:37:56 AM
Quote from: Number17 on March 27, 2014, 11:19:03 PM
Somebody says this:

you are 100% correct. the quotes you posted is why i add my .02! It just floors me that he can say that he doesnt take long shots but states that he has ground checked them with 7.5 lead. 40 yards with 7.5 lead is a long shot to long!

I'm not the only one that has made a remark about using this shell and shooting 40 yds.
40 yds is not long range shooting with the proper choke. The ones that are shooting 50-70yds are the ones that are shooting long range.
No one should ever just take for granted some information typed on here and go hunting with it,you should always check out your gun and choke yourself.
I know what works for me and has worked for me in the past and will continue to hunt that way.

KYStalker

Just an update on these shells.  I patterned them at 40 yards from an Indian Creek .675 in my 835 and got 224 in 10".  I also used them all season and killed two birds with them.  Both were around 35 yards and fell over dead as a hammer.  Two shots, two kills.  So far I love them, but I don't have any delusions of killing turkeys past 35-40 yards with them.
If you're not first, your last!!

Canteathorns

Saturday morning 9.35am dead tom on ground magically killed by a teenage girl with a 20 gauge shooting 7.5 shot at 38 yards ! I guess I'll have to tell her she will have to shoot 6s from now on because 7.5s won't kill that far ! Lol !

learn2hide

Quote from: Canteathorns on April 29, 2014, 10:10:33 PM
Saturday morning 9.35am dead tom on ground magically killed by a teenage girl with a 20 gauge shooting 7.5 shot at 38 yards ! I guess I'll have to tell her she will have to shoot 6s from now on because 7.5s won't kill that far ! Lol !

Congrats to her and you...as stated several times above if you are for sure not going to shoot past 40 yards then just get your pattern and POI right and you'll be good...

Longshanks

Quote from: KYStalker on April 29, 2014, 04:27:08 PM
Just an update on these shells.  I patterned them at 40 yards from an Indian Creek .675 in my 835 and got 224 in 10".  I also used them all season and killed two birds with them.  Both were around 35 yards and fell over dead as a hammer.  Two shots, two kills.  So far I love them, but I don't have any delusions of killing turkeys past 35-40 yards with them.

Congrats, that's awesome! Way to get it done with the old 2 ounce 7.5's.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: KYStalker on April 29, 2014, 04:27:08 PM

Careful now,are you aware according to the expert turkey "shooters" on here that what you have done can't be done. Are you sure the birds are dead and not playing possum,after all you didn't blast at them with a 10ga stuffed with 3 oz's of nitros.

Longshanks

This thread has made me want to hunt with the 3/2/7.5's next year. Gonna take em out and do some patterning. Gonna shoot them through my 870 kicks .655 and see how they look at 20,30,40. Have two boxes, might as well use them.

KYStalker

Be sure to post your patterns!  A friend of mine shot his turkey with them at 20 yards and said the turkey's head looked like meatloaf with a beak.
If you're not first, your last!!

Longshanks

Quote from: KYStalker on May 15, 2014, 08:10:32 AM
Be sure to post your patterns!  A friend of mine shot his turkey with them at 20 yards and said the turkey's head looked like meatloaf with a beak.

Killed some turkeys with them back in day out of a Browning Citori full choke. They should be business out of the rem 870/ kicks .655.