Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

looking for my first scratch box. suggestions?

Started by MikeStaten, March 09, 2014, 10:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeStaten

Never tried a scratch box but looking to pick one up.  Any suggestions on who makes a good one?  Wood suggestions?  Thinking I'd like it to be for some realistic soft calling and not too raspy. 

hunter22

I have several scratch boxes. One of the most underrated calls out there in my opinion. Some I hunt with were made by SS calls, Ernie Fetters, and Russell Beard. All three of these guys are turkey hunters and know what a call is suppose to sound like and all three are good people.

letinmfly

SS Calls makes a fins scratcher.  Cedar will work if you don't want it too raspy.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

JLCcalls

I'll second the SS boy's scratch -boxes.  I just got a new one the other day and it's awesome.

SS Calls

Quote from: JLCcalls on March 09, 2014, 12:20:33 PM
I'll second the SS boy's scratch -boxes.  I just got a new one the other day and it's awesome.

I appreciate the recommendations guys, BUT gotta toss JLCcalls in the mix! He seems to forget about the blue ribbon he won in Nashville a couple of years ago. He builds a really fine sounding scratch box! And a very good person to deal with.  :icon_thumright:

Spring Creek Calls

Check out Curtis Terrill (wingboneman) scratch boxes. He's got a bunch of sound files on here for you to listen to.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Wingboneman

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on March 10, 2014, 01:10:16 PM
Check out Curtis Terrill (wingboneman) scratch boxes. He's got a bunch of sound files on here for you to listen to.
Thanks , Not making anymore right.

ElkTurkMan

paboxcall

Quote from: MikeStaten on March 09, 2014, 10:30:21 AM
Never tried a scratch box but looking to pick one up.  Any suggestions on who makes a good one?  Wood suggestions?  Thinking I'd like it to be for some realistic soft calling and not too raspy.

All great suggestions so far.  One of my personal favorites is Shadetree Callers.  I'd give Bob a call, he makes a great scratcher!

http://shadetreecallers.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2264267
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer