Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester Long Beard XR...HYPE or REAL DEAL???

Started by sefaber35401, March 07, 2014, 10:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sefaber35401

:z-guntootsmiley:

OK....so today was THE day I decided to find out if the new Win. Long Beard XR's were hype or FACT.  Let me preface by saying, I have tested just about any and EVERY load imaginable for the last 6 or 7 years.   While I have come across many GOOD loads that patterned very well, I have never seen a turkey load perform better than NITRO's.  As you all know, the $6-$7 per shell price is not only ridiculous, but seems a little silly.   With that said, I have always been a "want the BEST" type....so ive always paid the price for them.

Well today, I THINK MY $50 - $60 per box per 10 shells days are over.   I took my Remington 870 SM, sure shot stock.....JEB's Headhunter 660. choke....and a handful of the XR's and this was the results........   After I saw what happened at 30 & 40yds....I decided to test their statement "twice the pellets in a 10" circle @ 60 yds".   I have NEVER seen a shell do this and honestly had I not shot this MYSELF.....I would not believe it.   So its ok WHEN you all doubt this.   All I can say is try them for YOURSELVES.  This load will hurt NITRO AMMO's remaining customers!  Guaranteed.

I shot a typical color full size turkey target. I then flipped it over to the back and traced the outline on the white side of the paper, so the hits would show up better in the photos.  I posted one photo just to show the front view of the target.

@ 30 yds....I stopped counting at 100 HITS...in head and neck ONLY.  The WAD from the shell actually tore the PAPER!!

@ 40yds...I stopped counting at 79 HITS!

@ 60yds......I will let you see for yourself.

ericjames

sefaber35401

Oh sorry....guess that would have been HELPFUL.   

3.5" - #6

NC_10

They are awesome. This is my BPS at 50 yrds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyRiver

I am sold on LB #4's.   The best patterning shell I've used.   

highwaygun

They do pattern great and will work ones face over at a reasonable range but if you think those lead #6 are going do the trick at 60 yards you gonna be in for a disappointment.  They marketing on these shells are setting people up for failure. Gonna be a bunch of crippled birds this year with all these folks listening Winchesters claims. Good luck this year with your new shell just use your head when taking your shots or if not you better have fast feet.

jdavenp3

Yeah, I agree with Highwaygun... I am not sure if I would trust lead 6's at 60 yards. I don't even know if I would take a 60 yard shot with any shell honestly.

darn2ten

He never said he was going to shoot one at 60. Just testing the claim of twice the pellets at 60. Without a doubt #6 lead does not have enough energy at 60 yds. to reliably kill a turkey. I hope people us common sense. It won't matter though, the kind of people who are going to take long shots are going to do it no matter what they're shooting.

highwaygun

Quote from: darn2ten on March 08, 2014, 01:35:12 AM
He never said he was going to shoot one at 60. Just testing the claim of twice the pellets at 60. Without a doubt #6 lead does not have enough energy at 60 yds. to reliably kill a turkey. I hope people us common sense. It won't matter though, the kind of people who are going to take long shots are going to do it no matter what they're shooting.
he did not say he was gonna shot at 60. I just assumed I guess. But if someone is patterning at 60 yards it is a good bet they would like to or are going to try it at some point just saying.

sefaber35401

Quote from: highwaygun on March 08, 2014, 02:19:09 AM
Quote from: darn2ten on March 08, 2014, 01:35:12 AM
he did not say he was gonna shot at 60. I just assumed I guess. But if someone is patterning at 60 yards it is a good bet they would like to or are going to try it at some point just saying.

Guys...thanks for the comments....  When I decided to post this, I thought about specifying that I had NO intent to shoot a bird at that distance, I was simply testing the claim.  If you notice, their claim says "10% more shot in a 10" circle at 60yds" ....nothing about "KILLING A TURKEY @ ANY distance" :o
That said.... patterning a turkey gun IMO should be for developing a sense of COMFORT that your equipment CAN perform at said distances, and to make you feel confident when taking your shot.  I don't use it as a "how far can my gun shoot?" tool.  Bottom line....everyone has or WILL take a shot too far at some point, if they hunt turkey long enough.  Until you've watched him fly away, or you have chased him through the woods/field to discover...he's simply faster than you....you wont hesitate to take a shot that is simply TOO FAR.   Good rule of thumb I use....if I ever catch myself saying "Can I kill him from HERE??"  I let him come a few steps closer.
Thanks again for the comments......good luck this yr! :OGturkeyhead:

d.winsor

I have hunted turkeys on public land since 1992, back then it was something for me to get a pattern with turkey loads and a choke to do a regular huntable 40 yard pattern with #5 shot.  Every bird I ever killed had lead shot in them, couldn't comment on the range they were shot at to get that lead in them.  My point, if it is HTL or lead there are going to be people that will take questionable shots.  I can say three things, I have never taken a questionable shot, I have never put shot into a bird that I didn't kill, I never let a bird get closer than 20 yards if possible.  Winchester is not doing any thing wrong by creating an outstanding product, I do think their marketing will make people think about longer shots, Just like the patterns of HTL users will.  Lead shooters don't have a monopoly on taking too long of shots.

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

cmd242

When shooting at 60 yards, do you have to hold over any or what?

tomstopper

strutlife

Said it before and will say it again. Winchester has changed the game a WHOLE lot. All of the other manufacturer's had better getting to coming up with a new product.