OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longbeard Pattern Pics

Started by turkey buster, March 06, 2014, 08:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey buster

Quote from: ep427 on February 19, 2015, 08:43:30 AM
The longbeards are the best lead pattern I have ever had. But they just keep going up in price so I might try some other options this year.

They cost the same here. Sounds like your local stores are gouging

VanHelden Game Calls

I went to #4's.  For the range I shoot the 4's offer a nice dense pattern and the size shot puts a hit on the bird.

Prices are the same here as any other lead shot.  And they had a sale at Fleet Farm a little while back so I picked up 6 boxes.  For what these shells do I have no reason to try and pay the extra for the heavy weights.

ericjames

Quote from: VanHelden Game Calls on February 19, 2015, 09:32:11 AM
I went to #4's.  For the range I shoot the 4's offer a nice dense pattern and the size shot puts a hit on the bird.

Prices are the same here as any other lead shot.  And they had a sale at Fleet Farm a little while back so I picked up 6 boxes.  For what these shells do I have no reason to try and pay the extra for the heavy weights.

You got that right brother. That # 4 is bad news for birds. Always has been, the only reason I stopped using them is they stopped making the old pre flight control federal. Back then I was using the 3.5-2.25-4. They were good shells but nothing like the longbeard shells. I just couldn't get good enough patterns out of any other 4. So I went to winchester 5's I'm extremely satisfied with the longbeard 4 pattern. What gun/choke combo are you using with yours? My 20"835 with the ssx put up pretty good #'s. But what I like more than numbers a nice hunting pattern.

Longshanks

Quote from: cthemfall514 on February 12, 2015, 04:32:49 PM
Quote from: Longshanks on February 01, 2015, 05:19:02 PM
Rem 870/ 21" bbl/ Kicks .655/ Bushnell Trophy Red Dot

214 in 10 @ 40

*turkey in trouble

*240's is bad news for the turkey's. 

Thinking about running the same setup, what shot size and shell length where you using? Thanks

Win LB 3" 6's

VanHelden Game Calls

I will have to dig back in old posts from last year.  But I use a 870 3" with the extended remington turkey choke, nothing fancy here but it shot good enough for my intended purpose and the LB where an easy way to make it better while not reinventing the wheel. 

I am not a number chaser but do like to have an idea what my gun will do so I know exactly what I can do. :funnyturkey:

Post #46 here.  My patterns http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,43518.msg467851.html#msg467851

strut2

ericjames

Quote from: VanHelden Game Calls on February 19, 2015, 12:20:21 PM
I will have to dig back in old posts from last year.  But I use a 870 3" with the extended remington turkey choke, nothing fancy here but it shot good enough for my intended purpose and the LB where an easy way to make it better while not reinventing the wheel. 

I am not a number chaser but do like to have an idea what my gun will do so I know exactly what I can do. :funnyturkey:

Post #46 here.  My patterns http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,43518.msg467851.html#msg467851

I went back and looked at those pattern pics. that 40 yard of the 4's would have took a birds head off. Great looking patterns for sure. I'm the same way I burn through shells more then probably anyone but I know what my gun will do.

jg

yep LBs are great! Im shooting 3.5" #6s in my mossy 835 w/ 24" brl  ssx choke, last week in 63 degree weather (fluke for this time of year in arkansas) 261 hits at a measured 40 yds. in a 10" circle,left me speechless! would have been happy with 150 or so.pleasantly surprised,will that set up shoot the same way everytime? doubt it but it did that day.
Ozark beard busters