OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Browning BPS Federal hevi-weight #7's 10 GA ?  (Read 9375 times)

Offline NC_10

Browning BPS Federal hevi-weight #7's 10 GA ?
« on: March 05, 2014, 08:39:20 AM »
Dropped by the new Bass pro sportsman in town yesterday. They had federal hevi-weight 7's in stock picked up a box for the BPS 10 ga. Was wondering what results any one had achieved with there choke and gun setup. I know there is a stigma with the new flitecontrol wads.

Offline Rockhound

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Browning BPS Federal hevi-weight #7's 10 GA ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 09:02:39 AM »
Best 10 gauge shell made outside of nitro

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,37274.0.html

Offline NC_10

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 01:07:33 PM »
Awesome pattern thanks for the link and info. I'm gonna test them this weekend with a stock x-full choke and a borrowed .710 pure gold.

L.F. Cox

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 08:14:31 AM »
If you're shooting a big ten why the need for pixie dust sized shot ?

Why not shoot a manly sized shot to go with the manly sized gun.

Offline NC_10

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 10:46:57 AM »
"Pixie" dust kills too lol

Offline Rockhound

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 12:17:59 PM »

Because those #7 will out penetrate and out pattern any #4 shell you can find and I guarantee that.

I shoot 2.5 oz of TSS #8 out of mine

Offline NC_10

Browning BPS Federal hevi-weight #7's 10 GA ?
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 12:28:25 PM »
Agreed with the density of heavy weight shot and amount of shot in a ten gauge shell. I haven't heard of TSS what does it stand for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L.F. Cox

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 02:42:12 PM »

Because those #7 will out penetrate and out pattern any #4 shell you can find and I guarantee that.

I shoot 2.5 oz of TSS #8 out of mine

Don't kid yourself

Offline cluck

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 03:00:32 PM »
I'am from the show me state. That would be one keck of a test! One pellet from each and everything else being equal. Wish I had the equipment to do this! Ole big number 4 verses little bittie number 7.   cluck

L.F. Cox

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 06:45:48 PM »
I've did the test on live turkeys back when I shot Nitros 4x5x7's Hevi Shot....I made a bad 40 to 45 yard walking shot on a gobbler...he went down then got to his feet and flew off.

Called him in and killed him the next morning...shot him about 15 yards with another load of 4x5x7 pixie dust....like to have tore his head off.

When I cleaned him I noticed his legs felt funny....I skinned them back and there were literally 100's of small shot between the meat and skin. (I look back now and wish I had taken pictures).

Enough proof for me.....had I been shooting #4 shot or even #5 shot there's no doubt it would have broken his legs immobilizing him.

Offline highwaygun

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 09:57:38 PM »
The reason that bird got away had nothing to do with the shell it was the guy behind the gun. More than likely the nitro pellets only penetrated the skin was because they bounced of the ground before they hit the legs and lead wouldnt have even broke the skin. HW has 30% more density than the Hevi shot in the nitros and is 40 denser than lead. HW and lead aint even in the same ballpark hell they aint even playing the same sport. What your calling pixie dust would have made his legs as limp as a nobble at 40 yds. the #7 HW with out preform #4 lead in pattern density, penetration, and lethal killing range anyday of the week. I hate to tell you this but your miss informed and need to rethink you logic on this one.

Offline Rockhound

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 11:08:15 PM »
I've did the test on live turkeys back when I shot Nitros 4x5x7's Hevi Shot....I made a bad 40 to 45 yard walking shot on a gobbler...he went down then got to his feet and flew off.

Called him in and killed him the next morning...shot him about 15 yards with another load of 4x5x7 pixie dust....like to have tore his head off.

When I cleaned him I noticed his legs felt funny....I skinned them back and there were literally 100's of small shot between the meat and skin. (I look back now and wish I had taken pictures).

Enough proof for me.....had I been shooting #4 shot or even #5 shot there's no doubt it would have broken his legs immobilizing him.

I ain't talking about no stinking heavy shot, I'm talking about the heavyweight shot. It blows the hevishot out of the water. I'm not kidding myself, I'm a hand loader and I know a thing or two about the heavier than lead shot. I know for a fact that lead #4 will NOT go through 1/2" plywood at 1300 fps. I know for a fact that federal heavyweight #7 WILL.

That's awful funny, I shot a bird low last year at 41 yards with a load of tss #8, majority of the shot was a little below his waddles but those #8 broke both legs, and both wings with pellets that entered one side of his breast and completely passed through and exited the other side.

Sounds like you shot your bird in the legs??

L.F. Cox

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 04:14:28 AM »
It's becoming apparent that all men that shoot fairy dust and pixie dust have "little shot syndrome".....

Is it akin to little man syndrome ?.

Offline Rockhound

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 06:45:50 AM »
You can shoot what what you want, but dont come on here and tell people they don't know what they they are talking about.

Offline highwaygun

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 10:21:47 AM »
It's becoming apparent that all men that shoot fairy dust and pixie dust have "little shot syndrome".....

Is it akin to little man syndrome ?.
it has also become apparent that some people on here have a distort perception of reality when it comes to its abilities of lead shot.

In my field we call this psychosis.