OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New member, new tk2000

Started by Rray41, February 26, 2014, 11:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rray41

Hello fellow gobbler hunters!   Just joined this site. Impressed with the overall wealth of information on this forum

Just purchased a tk2000 nwtf shotgun.  Paid to much for it but I wanted it prior to opening of the Alabama turkey season.    I also ordered some 3 1/2" wads from knight as well as some #6 lead shot.   I am confident there is other options available other than what Knight has to offer.  I believe I am going to shoot either T7 or RS, 100 gr.   have several different 209 primers so any input on which shoots the best will be appreciated

Where do you guys order most of your supplies and what brands? 

Thanks for any input! 

ericjames

Welcome to Old Gobbler.. I can't help with the gun question but I'm sure someone will be along before long that can..

Frank G

Quote from: Rray41 on February 26, 2014, 11:35:27 PM
Hello fellow gobbler hunters!   Just joined this site. Impressed with the overall wealth of information on this forum

Just purchased a tk2000 nwtf shotgun.  Paid to much for it but I wanted it prior to opening of the Alabama turkey season.    I also ordered some 3 1/2" wads from knight as well as some #6 lead shot.   I am confident there is other options available other than what Knight has to offer.  I believe I am going to shoot either T7 or RS, 100 gr.   have several different 209 primers so any input on which shoots the best will be appreciated

Where do you guys order most of your supplies and what brands? 

Thanks for any input!

Eric , you are the man!
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Have one myself, love it. Hope this helps ...... works for me.

These are my images from last weekends test. Left side is 5/6 Hevi mix. Right is lead 5, 6 and 5/6 mix. All use 2" (inside wad) I split, 2oz load, 100 gr of FFG (T7) and at 40 yards. The number are "kill" hits not 10" circle, I didn't count in the lower boarder area although have would have been kill shots. The Hevi seems to have an advantage. Not sure if the cost of Hevi has merit, the lead is not bad at all. Your thoughts? Can't seem to buy a small amount of Hevi, all are 2 lbs cartons ($100.00 +/- delivered). That is a few years worth of shot.

Frank G  In Tennessee

hollandhunter

I am new to the site too. So hello. I have been turkey hunting with blackpowder since i was a kid. I actually killed my first bird with a cva gobbler addition cap lock muzzelaoder. Since then 15yrs later i may add i now use a tk2000 aswell. I have owned ot for about 6 yrs now and i absolutly love it. I have a 870 and a 1187, a mossberg 835 and a few single shots and i have to say the tk is my favorite. Other then only having one shot its bad to the bone. I live in southern kentucky so i buy all my stuff from gamelia shooting supply. They have a site if anyone needs anything btw. I normally use 90gr of bp and i shoot 5s out of my 3inch wads. Whatever that adds to. And sometimes i throw some 4s in with the 5s. I think its cool to see other people using the tks. I cant wait to opener. I will be using my tk.

Rray41

Was able to shoot my new tk2000 for the first time today!  Fantastic shooting shotgun.   100 gr pyrodex select RS. 3 1/2" wad filled with #6 lead shot.   35 yrds.  Lot of pellets in kill zone.   

Think I'm goin to get some #4 shot and mix it 70-30%.  Believe that will do the trick.   May even up the charge to 110-115 gr.   

Frank G

Never sent anything over 100gr with mine  2oz lead or hevi shot using 2" inside depth wads. Those long wads will hold 2 1/2 oz +/-. Have "tinkered" with #4 but found that a 5/6 mix performed the best out to 40 yards. Did give #5 a "shot" just for "wonder what will happen" had 9 in the "gotja" zone, although not someting I would do unless all conditions were perfect. I hunt woods for the most part so a shot out that far "naaaa" on the edge of a field though "hummmmmm YA"  ;). Let me know the results with 110 > 115 gr propellent. From 90 to 100 was significant, can't imagine kicking it up a bit from there. :o

Frank G  In Tennessee

joey46

I haven't been on this site for awhile so I'm catching up.  I just posted a picture from yesterday's Florida opener.  When I first obtained my TK2000 I went with Knight's published load of 2 1/2 oz number 6 lead, Knights plastic wad and foam over shot.  It took a little doing but I found real black powder (Goex FF) and load it to 100 grains.  It reads I could go up to 120 grains but the kick from the 100 is more than enough for me.  Good luck to all. 

bradb

I had Sumtoy build me a different choke set up last year.  We then shot at his shop tell I was happy with my bit over 200 in 10" at 40.   Her build up a tube that has female threads in both ends so as you can use "standard" chokes in the gun. 

Frank G

Quote from: bradb on March 26, 2014, 12:13:03 PM
I had Sumtoy build me a different choke set up last year.  We then shot at his shop tell I was happy with my bit over 200 in 10" at 40.   Her build up a tube that has female threads in both ends so as you can use "standard" chokes in the gun.

Brad,
What's your load, that's very good in a 10".  :icon_thumright:

Frank G  In Tennessee

bradb

I would have to double check.  But pretty sure full 3.5" shot cup of hevi 7, foam tray overcard, 100 gr of trip 7.  Have tried a few different and all shot real good.  Did a single season slam with it last year.

Really the choke set up made the difference by far.

Frank G

Quote from: bradb on March 26, 2014, 12:31:17 PM
I would have to double check.  But pretty sure full 3.5" shot cup of hevi 7, foam tray overcard, 100 gr of trip 7.  Have tried a few different and all shot real good.  Did a single season slam with it last year.

Really the choke set up made the difference by far.

That is sending a heavy load man. You must be in the 2-1/2 + oz range. That would be 2-1/2" depth wads. I send 2 oz hevi, wad depth 2" and 100 gr T7. May bump it up just for a test though.  :anim_25: this season. 1st year for a ML SG here, can't wait until Saturday.  :icon_thumright:

Frank G  In Tennessee

bradb

measure is between 90 and 95
I didn't have enough pellets right now to 100% fill a shot cup and what I had has a lot of buffer.  I would say full it will be 2.25 for sure

Like I said the choke set up is really what did it

joey46

Great looking pattern.  Our Florida north zone opens today (3/21) but we are going to wait until mid week and then give it a three day shot.  Be using the standard Knight load of 2 1/2oz #6 pushed by 100 grains of real BP in my TK2000. 

magnus

Quote from: meatstick on March 19, 2015, 03:43:43 PM
100 gr of T7/ LBC 50 Wad/ 1 7/8oz of Hevi/ Foam OSC

It does 140 in the 10" at 40 yds on a very dirty barrel.

Its a hammer at 40 yds, and will hold a killing pattern out further.

Recently picked up a TK2000.  Am totally new to muzzy shotguns and shogun reloading in general. Trying to figure out right combo of wads, powder, shot, etc.  Can you dummy down your load description and components for me?    Appreciate any other tips from anyone......

Frank G

Quote from: meatstick on March 29, 2015, 11:25:21 PM
Quote from: magnus on March 29, 2015, 05:19:09 AM

Recently picked up a TK2000.  Am totally new to muzzy shotguns and shogun reloading in general. Trying to figure out right combo of wads, powder, shot, etc.  Can you dummy down your load description and components for me?    Appreciate any other tips from anyone......

100 gr Hodgdon Triple 7 powder (fffg)

https://www.hodgdon.com/tripleseven-granular.html

BPI LBC 50 wad

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/LBC-50mm-12ga-Wad-unslit-250_bag/productinfo/0729050/

1 7/8 oz of Hevishot (#6 or #7 shot size works best)

Foam Over Shot Card (OSC)

I cut my OSCs out of foam meat trays, using the brass from a 12 ga hull.

I hope this makes a little more sense. If you need anymore help, let me know.

:icon_thumright:
Same set up I use and suggest you work with it as your basic base line. Found that #6 is best overall, another trick that helps me go out to 50 yards with confidence would be purchasing non split wads from the same vendor and making 3 cuts 50% down. Holds a better pattern out to that range. Just be cautious at close range you are sending a slug. Good luck, TKs are a blast to take a turkey with, it will drive your shot shell guys "nuts". Bang, smoke, toast!  :TooFunny:

Frank G  In Tennessee