OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What choke constriction for longbeards/browning  (Read 3363 times)

Offline TheSportsman

What choke constriction for longbeards/browning
« on: February 20, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
What choke constriction would you guys recommend for a browning gold 3.5" 24" barrel shooting 3.5" longbeard number 5s??? I've got a PG .670 and a kicks gt .680.  But with it being lead, I thought about a IC .665? Just unsure. Any ideas or advice.? I'm down to 3 mag blends and believe I'm going back to lead, esp with results y'all are getting from the LBs. All my shots are under 40(Mississippi) so lead will be just fine. I do like 5s in lead. Thanks

Offline SKFOOTER

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: What choke constriction for longbeards/browning
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 01:55:54 PM »
I think you'll be satisfied with your patterns thru both the .670 and the .680 but I'd expect the .670 to throw a tighter 40 yard pattern.   :OGturkeyhead:

Offline d.winsor

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 05:19:25 PM »
I have a SX3 NWTF it came with a .655,  I ordered a briley .665 for it.  I have 2 870's that I shoot the same choke with winchester surpemes #5 Shot, the patterns are super at 40 yards.  If I were a betting man I would go with the .665 choke.

Offline mshunter

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 10:43:29 PM »
I have shot a bunch of different shells but my Browning with a 670 pure gold shoots those cheap remington nitro#5s from wal mart better than anything I've tried. And for about 8 dollars a box there well worth a try

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 07:51:04 AM »
675 and go have fun.   :icon_thumright:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 12:08:38 AM »
It really all depends on the brand and the person who designs the choke tube. It can certainly be as William recommends, .675 for his chokes, or as the Browning engineers recommend .640 for their chokes.

That's what makes it interesting when we discuss what choke works best for what gun.

"Internal Geometry" and not the exit diameter makes the difference. Constriction (the difference in the nominal inside diameter of the bore and the exit diameter of the choke)  is but one part of choke design and it's really all about what's going on inside the tube, angles, parallel, ports, etc.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."