OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mounting truglo red dot???  (Read 2449 times)

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
Mounting truglo red dot???
« on: February 21, 2014, 09:44:52 PM »
Wife and kids got me a truglo red dot model TG8370C. I have it mounted but it feels weird. What I mean is that when I rest my cheak on the stock, I am having a hard time looking through the window and seeing the reticle. If I lift my cheak off the stock then it's not a problem. Is this normal. It just feels like its not right. Out of all the years I have hunted turkeys, this is the first time I have used anything except open sights due to my eyesight getting worse. Hope it's a quick fix.

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
Re: Mounting truglo red dot???
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 10:17:10 PM »
Wife and kids got me a truglo red dot model TG8370C. I have it mounted but it feels weird. What I mean is that when I rest my cheak on the stock, I am having a hard time looking through the window and seeing the reticle. If I lift my cheak off the stock then it's not a problem. Is this normal. It just feels like its not right. Out of all the years I have hunted turkeys, this is the first time I have used anything except open sights due to my eyesight getting worse. Hope it's a quick fix.

One of the "crazy" things for us who've grown up accustomed to a good cheek weld on the stock is that "dot" sights do not require that.

Once the sight is patterned, it makes no difference where the dot is in relationship to the window. You do not need the dot to be centered. It can be anywhere in the window.

In other words, you can lift your cheek from the stock as long as you can see the dot where you want to hit, you're on the money.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 10:27:30 PM »

One of the "crazy" things for us who've grown up accustomed to a good cheek weld on the stock is that "dot" sights do not require that.

Once the sight is patterned, it makes no difference where the dot is in relationship to the window. You do not need the dot to be centered. It can be anywhere in the window.

In other words, you can lift your cheek from the stock as long as you can see the dot where you want to hit, you're on the money.

Thanks,
Clark
Thanks Clark. I am mounting it on my stoeger 3500 and it just felt weird to what I was accustomed to......

Offline Mike Honcho

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 11:22:25 PM »
I am a former high powered rifle metallic silhouette competition shooter and I noticed the same thing on one of my turkey guns when I mounted a red dot last season. I don't like the feeling of shooting with no cheek weld (probably from my rifle background).   I purchased a Bear Tooth products comb raising kit and installed it...it cured the problem and I like the feel...it is neoprene over a high density foam core.
They are very inexpensive and come in some camo styles as well as black or brown.

If you decide to go that way shoot me a PM and I'll give you some tips on installing for the best fit.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 11:46:46 PM »
I believe in form and mechanics.  If I could not set my cheek on the gun I would add a comb so that I could.  Beartooth makes a good one.  Good luck!
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 11:58:45 PM »
I believe in form and mechanics.  If I could not set my cheek on the gun I would add a comb so that I could.  Beartooth makes a good one.  Good luck!

I am an old time long range rifle shooter, Winchester Model 70s in the Vietnam era and then Remington 700s later in that same time frame. We were all about "form and mechanics" and I really understand your conflict. It was very hard for me to adapt to the "dot" type sights but once I did, I really appreciated them.

I have Beartooth neoprene sleeves on several of my rifles and shotguns. I also have their pads on some but learned early on that pipe wrap (adapt and improvise) works as well or even better than their pads. Pipe wrap has a natural curve that fits very well.

It's really all about what works for an individual shooter.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline Devastator

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 12:00:40 AM »
Beartooth,after ya use one of these you won't believe how much they help,even the felt recoil on the cheek.

Offline Skeeterbait

• Longbeard
  • South Alabama
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 12:02:00 AM »
Yes pad the comb or get used to holding your cheek up off the comb.  Clark is absolutely correct, you do not need a cheek weld to shoot a reflex sight accurately.  And, you wont be as bothered by recoil because the comb wont be transferring that energy into your cheek.  I happen to like the more "heads up" shooting style which is common with tactical shotgun setups.  But those who need the cheek weld to be comfortable, padding the comb, using a shim if your gun comes with them, is the answer.