OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Mossberg 935 3inch Long Beared XR #6 & SSX Choke...VERY PLEASED!!!

Started by VA_Birdhunter, February 18, 2014, 11:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA_Birdhunter

Finally the snow has melted and I was able to get out and shoot the 935 with Long Beard XR shells today with my new SSX choke.  I'm pretty pleased with the results! I first started with deep cleaning my barrel following allaboutshooting's directions (awesome by the way).  I also ran a bore snake down the barrel after each shot.

First shot is 30 yrds measured 230 in 10" circle.  90 in the head and neck.  I pulled this one alittle to the right.  Sorry pics are not the best I took them with my phone.

Same target just holding up to the light for the pic.

40 yrds measured 190 in 10" circle.  65 in the head and neck. 

Same target held up to the light.

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Philippe

Its going to be a tough choice on which choke I want to run this season. Sumtoy or the SSX, I just can't believe the pattern that SSX tossed though, I figured for as tight as it is, that it would blow the pattern.

WildSpur

Cluck more, yelp less

tomstopper

Nice. Cant wait to pattern mine as soon as this weather gets nicer here in NY.........

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Philippe on February 19, 2014, 12:04:01 AM
Its going to be a tough choice on which choke I want to run this season. Sumtoy or the SSX, I just can't believe the pattern that SSX tossed though, I figured for as tight as it is, that it would blow the pattern.
Its lead though Philippe.  You could prob even go a little tighter and not blow the pattern, especially with theses loads in the 6s.    Still...don't think I'd want to go tighter.  Why deform the shot more than it ready is on firing and why risk a miss at close range right?
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on February 19, 2014, 11:04:57 AM
Quote from: Philippe on February 19, 2014, 12:04:01 AM
Its lead though Philippe.  You could prob even go a little tighter and not blow the pattern, especially with theses loads in the 6s.    Still...don't think I'd want to go tighter.  Why deform the shot more than it ready is on firing and why risk a miss at close range right?

I agree I don't want to go any tighter....I think this combo is just right. 

God Bless

VA_Birdhunter

I also forgot to mention...I did not test these using a shooting vice...just leaned up against a tree and shot off my knee.  I like to test them this way.  So the pattern might have been alittle better on paper if I had of used one.

darn2ten

Man that looks real good to me! I think you got a winner there, I wouldn't want to go any tighter than that. I shot one combo the other day and got 203 with a 3" #5, that's just crazy and a little to tight. I'm going to try another choke with a little less constriction and see what happens. I really like your pattern, no reason to shoot 3.5" there.

reflexl

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: outdoors on February 19, 2014, 07:18:36 PM
Which SSX CHOKE DID YA GET  :OGani:

They only make one for the 835 and 935 guns.  It's a .670 choke. 

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

chatterbox

This is why I love the SSX in my 835. I believe it throws one of the most even patterns out there.
Weather I shoot lead or HTL, my patterns are great!

drum817

Good deal!!!  That's almost the exact same numbers I got!!!  :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"