turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NE and KS Scouting

Started by jims, February 17, 2014, 11:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jims

I've been researching KS and NE turkeys and trying to narrow down areas that likely have potential for turkeys being present.  One of the major components seems to be the presence of trees in river bottoms.  One other obvious component is food.  I'm curious how important it is to have corn, wheat, or other crop fields?  I've found a few drainages that don't have crop fields but still have stands of cottonwoods and other trees.  Should I bipass these areas?  Once I spend time in KS and NE I'll probably get a feel for areas to concentrate.

R.W. Mackey

I've hunted both states several times, every area I've hunted was near food crops. The larger trees
Are along some type of waterway, especially in the western parts of the states. Both these states are huge agriculture producers, not hard to find the food source.
  These are the type areas I would concentrate on.

Roy
Lone Star Gamecalls
We Talk the Talk

J Hook Max

Normally by springtime most crops have long been eaten up. However , with all the snow this year it is possible that some food is still around. Whether turkeys would still eat it , I don't know.
The turkeys will be around open ground to strut and find hens , but don't count out them feeding in the cottonwoods. They will already likely roost there and there are usually a good crop of snails under these trees. I grew up hunting the Mississippi River bottoms and when mast crops were slim , the turkeys would be found feeding in the cottonwoods.