OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pa. Gobblers  (Read 15842 times)

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Pa. Gobblers
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 07:34:05 PM »
Info:
I have a fair size piece of mountain across the road from me, that I can listen too most mornings. I'll try to keep a running log on the days I'm listening. Location is Central PA.

Tuesday 03/31/2015
38 degrees and slight snow showers.....lightly laying on the ground.......no wind
1 gobble just at break of day 1/2 way up the mountain
7:15 am 1 gobble same place, probably same bird
Both gobble were very short and quiet
Lots of crows and "Tweety" Birds, sure sounded like spring, except for the snow and lack of gobbling.

:OGani:

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2015, 04:55:59 PM »
Info:
I have a fair size piece of mountain across the road from me, that I can listen too most mornings. I'll try to keep a running log on the days I'm listening. Location is Central PA.

Tuesday 03/31/2015
38 degrees and slight snow showers.....lightly laying on the ground.......no wind
Lots of crows and "Tweety" Birds, sure sounded like spring, except for the snow and lack of gobbling.

04/01/2015
35 degrees, very windy, no birds at daybreak (probably couldn't have heard them anyways)
About 7:45 looked outside....bright blue skies....looked like spring, so I went out and had my "morning coffee"......not a sound. Still fairly windy and about 39 degrees. We need some warmer nights (and days).

Offline bowmike

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2015, 11:09:20 AM »
Well guys took the first walk of the season. Snuck out on momma and the newborn twin girls. Ended up hearing two gobblers on opposite hillsides. Ive been waiting for that sound all year!! Sounded like good birds. Not going to mess up like I did last year and call to them, listening only..... :popcorn:

this was in Cambria County

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2015, 09:26:00 PM »
Info:

Tuesday 03/31/2015

04/01/2015
35 degrees, very windy, no birds at daybreak (probably couldn't have heard them anyways)
About 7:45 looked outside....bright blue skies....looked like spring, so I went out and had my "morning coffee"......not a sound. Still fairly windy and about 39 degrees. We need some warmer nights (and days).

04/02/2015
30 degrees, no wind, clear skies, warm prediction.
2 started at daybreak. On my left and on my right. Back and forth until about 7:15. Most activity I've heard so far this year. These 2 in turn started up a couple others farther to my right. Boy, those 1st two when back and forth. About 7:45 it started to quiet down. I thought, now would be a good time to try my new Spring Creek Long Box. Left out a series of yelps and man that fired those 2 up. I "talked" to them for about 1/2 hour, before I had to go. I know if there wasn't several house between us, they would have been in my front yard. Those birds were fired up. I have no doubt I could have moved in on them and bagged one. Man, that Spring Creek Long Box sure fired them up. Brought another couple of responses from far off. Spring is here!

:turkey2:

Offline bowmike

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2015, 10:34:22 AM »
Heard "Big boy" this morning. Was listening in one spot that I had heard the gobblers yesterday and heard nothing walked down through the hollow, and when I got to the bottom he hollered at some crows. Walked back up and hunkered down. He is in the same exact tree as last year. I am assuming it is the same bird. Not messing it up this year and calling to him early. Going to branch out to a few other areas in the next few weeks.

I believe I will be surviving on energy drinks and snuff this year, as these twins are getting up around 2-3 am, so I am really going to be ran ragged. Hoping I can do more scouting in the evenings and take my 2.5 year old son out to listen and get his momma some relaxing time. IF not I may be the next star on "The Walking Dead"

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2015, 02:26:46 PM »
Heard "Big boy" this morning. Was listening in one spot that I had heard the gobblers yesterday and heard nothing walked down through the hollow, and when I got to the bottom he hollered at some crows. Walked back up and hunkered down. He is in the same exact tree as last year. I am assuming it is the same bird. Not messing it up this year and calling to him early. Going to branch out to a few other areas in the next few weeks.

I believe I will be surviving on energy drinks and snuff this year, as these twins are getting up around 2-3 am, so I am really going to be ran ragged. Hoping I can do more scouting in the evenings and take my 2.5 year old son out to listen and get his momma some relaxing time. IF not I may be the next star on "The Walking Dead"

Hey, look at it this way. If they are getting you up at 2-3am.........you won't need an alarm clock....LOL.

Enjoy your children, some day you'll look back and say.....man, did they grow up fast!

Your wagon, minus the welcome sign.
 :wagon:

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2015, 09:13:17 AM »
Ok,

End of my reporting this year!

They are in full swing and making up for lost time. Gobbling every morning and some evenings. Lot's of sightings.

Spring is here! Nothing to do now, but wait for the season opener!

Good luck everyone and be safe!

:turkey2:

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2015, 02:55:07 PM »
its a shame we gotta wait an entire month yet..
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline Thunderbolt

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2015, 06:20:47 PM »
Well the birds finally got crank up here in montgromery,&bucks county in Pa...I went out scouting at one of my private spots and I heard 3 gobblers and seen a strutter in my area....so it got me fired up and im setting the blind up this weekend for the May 2th opener....Rusty

Offline Thunderbolt

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2016, 09:19:25 PM »
 :turkey2: their hammering in Montgromery County,Pa......I heard them going off when fishing this morning!

Offline catclr

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2016, 09:45:35 PM »
Well the birds finally got crank up here in montgromery,&bucks county in Pa...I went out scouting at one of my private spots and I heard 3 gobblers and seen a strutter in my area....so it got me fired up and im setting the blind up this weekend for the May 2th opener....Rusty

Season opens April 30 :funnyturkey:

Offline catclr

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2016, 12:45:49 PM »
Sorry did not see it was from last year!!!!

Why would you bring up a year old post, when their was a NEW one going :character0029: