OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: avian x  (Read 5770 times)

Offline holtspur

avian x
« on: February 16, 2014, 12:38:11 AM »
Not sure if this is the place to post this, but here goes. Does anyone have any experience with the their avians taking a shot or two. I have always used a cheap hard plastic decoy but want to upgrade this season and just wonder with the avians being inflatable it the rubber would kindof self seal. I saw a video on the dsd's and it seemed to reinflate after taking shot. I know my old decoy has a few holes from some boys that got too close before they took a dirt nap.

Offline Ctburdchasr

Re: avian x
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 06:37:12 PM »
I run those decoys, I personally never peppered one however I did have some guy believe my strutter was a live bird and blast it out the window of his truck......it didn't handle it we'll. it only had about 30 holes in the actual inflatable part, but I had to replace it. I still love the decoys better than my foam ones and the hard plastics I have purchased. They are expensive as hell but I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Offline Gawhitaker

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »
Had a gobbler put three holes in mine last year, called Avian and they recommended applying shoe goo over the punctures, was easy to do and  it held up all season. Did have to blow it up and put in a filled tub to locate all the holes. Good luck

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 11:34:00 PM »
I saw a video on the dsd's and it seemed to reinflate after taking shot. I know my old decoy has a few holes from some boys that got too close before they took a dirt nap.

DSD's use Ace plastic...  They are not inflatable, but they are durable.

I would be curious as to the weight of a DSD verses an Avian Jake?  I am looking to get a new jake decoy this season, and the Avain looks smaller and lighter...  But I have heard complaints of the Avain's actually being quite heavy.  My understanding is that the DSD jake weighs just a hair over 6 lbs...  I would hope that the Avian does not weigh more than that???
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 11:51:10 PM by Marc »
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.