North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Eastern Assassins Hunt stories

Started by willy8457, February 07, 2014, 04:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willy8457

BigGobbler

Charlie B and me hunted hard on a local wma here in Florida and its was a tough hunt. We spent two days trying to find some gobblers for us to hunt but mainly for charlie so he could add it towards his slam. well we finally found some birds that wanted to dance with some sweat hussy hen like we were sounding like in two differant places so we poured on the positive attitude big time at the camp hoping it would help our hunt be successful. charlie and josh went after one group of birds and philip and me went to the other birds we found the day before Me and philip did not do so well only hearing two gobbles and a hen that came through our setup. charlie and josh had better luck and had called one in to about 50 yards but could not see it due to some brush along the cypress head they were hunting but was still moving towards them until someone came in on them from the other side of the cypress head with a box call that sounded like a squeaker toy this was the second day the same guy with the same box call had shut the gobblers up with Mr squeakier that's what we nicknamed the squeakier box call box. Well that ended that and the gobbler shut up and drifted off somewhere other than there way and they never heard him anymore. So we had a big positive attitude for sundays hunt josh went home so it was only charlie,philip and me hunting sunday so we planned a game plan for sundays hunt. The game plan was that philip and me would hunt as blockers and go to where Mr. squeakier was coming in on charlie and busting his hunt the last two days and just sit tight and let charlie work a gobbler with out Mr squeakier get in on him. It worked and we seen Mr squeakier slow down and want to pull in but must of decided to go somewhere else. philip and me heard a gobble the other direction so we went for it. We got in to about 100 yards and i heard him fly down so we set up there. I pulled out the copper over glass pot call i had made and made some soft clucks and raked some leaves and he gobbled i cut him off with a couple yelps and he double gobbled. i put the call down and when i did i heard a hen yelp behind us and he gobbled at her she came within 10 yards of us but she turned and went back the way she came. He gobbled several more times and every time he was closer. the hen started yelping and coming back towards us, she got to about 30 yards from us and flew over us and landed in the same area that the gobbler was in. I told philip it was over he was going to get with her and she would drag him the other way so i did some feeding purrs and clucked a couple times and raked the leaves and he exploded and gobbled philip could see him now coming towards us through the thick weeds but could not get a good shot he was strutting and walking our way so i did a soft purr and raked the leaves and he gobbled. philip could never get a good clean shot at him due to a pine tree in front of him. The gobbler walked and strutted and drummed only 15 yards from us but the gobbler was now behind a palmetto clump that was only twenty feet by twenty wide and he was coming towards the side i could shoot. the gobbler gobbled spit and drummed behind that clump of palmetto for about seven or eight minutes before he came out from behind it on the side philip could shot the only problem with that was philip could not see him because there was a pine tree that was blocking him from seeing him. I could see him now from the side of the tree we where sitting against but philip still could not see him due to the pine tree in front of him. The hen was about fifty yards behind him and she started calling and the gobbler started to walk her way and going away from us so i took the shot and sent him a load of longbeard 3 1/2 five shot from my mossberg. 

Mossy535

Congrats BigGobbler on a great hunt and a great narrative! Took the weekend off to let my back get better, but I'm good to go now. I really wish I could have gotten back on those birds we saw, but my back was having none of it!
"How many times da I have to tell ya...the right tool for the right job!" - Scotty

"I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog"- Bob Lee Swagger

bowhunter2k9

Alright guys, my first bird, he roosted over my golf cart one afternoon when I was coming out from hunting! I hooted looking the other direction and he gobbled right over the golf cart... So I casually pushed my golf cart out from under his tree once it was dark thirty. I came back the next morning and set up on the lane that was parallel to the bottom he was roosted in. I was gonna try to call him out of it... Not the best move.

I tried not to call to him till he hit the ground, but he decided he was gonna sit up there and gobble ALL day!!! I sat there in the rain for about an hour after daylight and then decided I was gonna get this two year old fired up. I started cackling and cutting... He bout fell off the limb trying to see me. I stopped and waited... It wasn't long before he flew straight into the bottom which was now straight to my left... I saw him looking like he was gonna walk right by me. So I rolled outta my chair and was on my knees just trying to see where he went ... Well he popped up at 15 yds from me and I froze.... Knowing I was caught.... He happened to step behind a small oak so I threw my gun up and when he stepped out from behind he saw me but I had the dot on his chest. The 3.5" #5's H13 broke him down flat!!! A fun hunt!!!!
Romans 8:38-39

bowhunter2k9

My second bird.... I set up in a freshly cut cutover from this past deer season... I knew the birds had been using this cutover frequently. I had Heard a single gobbler the morning before this afternoon. I took my new decoy... A woody jake and a walmart feeding hen out into the end of the cutover. I sat in my new turkey thug chair. (A must have in my opinion) and waited. I was about to fall asleep as I saw this dark object appear about 250 yds away... I assumed it was a deer as that property is known for having hundreds. I looked through my nikons and saw him, it was a gobbler on a downed log. He hopped down, and 2 more followed him! I immediately started getting excited.

They fed their way up to me slowly and the wind was howling so I knew they couldn't hear me. But the wind did help my decoys love around and look lively! One of them finally saw my jake decoy and he froze. Then all three froze and stared for probably 3 mins. then, as one stood watch , the other two gobblers came in quickly! I have never used decoys so this was fun to watch. They approached 30 yds and got about 10 yards away from my decoys... They stopped and raised those long necks to take a better look! This was my que!
Once again the hevi13 boomed. Dropped the second bird in his tracks!

I have never has success I. The afternoon or with decoys! This was all a first for me!
Romans 8:38-39

makova

Here is the story, i meet my budddies for coffee at the 7-11 5:00am talked till 5:45 got to the lease at 6:00. We left the trucks and walked in, i heard a gobble and said see ya good luck. I was ready to start calling around 6:45. Tom was ready to answer at 7:00  and i was done by 7:20. My friend mark texted me and you can see below;