turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Box Call Lids

Started by Austy, February 04, 2014, 05:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austy

So I know that the grain of the wood on the lid for a box call is supposed to be vertical and that it should run against the grain of the box itself.  The Question that I have is on woods like Padauk, Yellowheart and Purpleheart how do you tell which way the grain is???  Maybe I need new glasses or need to clean the ones that I wear in the shop but with the stuff that I have on hand its hard to see which way the grain is running and I have all of the above in 2" thick or better.

outdoors

I DONT KNOW , BUT I'LL GUES , WHAT IF YA AD SOME WATER ON IT , COULD YA TELL THEN ...
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

SS Calls

Never had a problem with those woods, but sometimes I have to get in some good light to see the grain in holly!

dreis3

Ya should have brought it up to the house with ya yesterday, I'll tell ya which way it's running... You did mention your glasses quite a few times yesterday, must be gettin old :goofball:
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

WillowRidgeCalls

You need to glaze it just a bit with some really fine sandpaper, then put a drop or two of water on it, that will raise the grain. Then take a cotton ball and string it out so that it's streached out and drag it across that area, the grain will grab the cotton going one way and let it slide going the other. Us older guys have enough problems seeing as clear as we used to on fine work, so we have to cheat a little  :TooFunny:.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

RizzardiCustomCalls

same here.....sand it smooth and wipe with a wet cloth.  I also use the cotton method.  I've never had a problem seeing the grain with the wood you listed.
I do have trouble with some mahogany I have on hand.  I need to sand really well and put it under a light to see it.