Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Why Not Show Some 20 Gauge Lead Patterns?

Started by R AJ, February 03, 2014, 01:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cluck

I think this lead section is the most interesting part of the old gobbler forum. I do shoot fed. Hw 7's in my 20 gauge but to tell you the truth I'd rather shoot lead. Even with the hw 7s, most of my turkeys are killed at 30 yards or less. I really like trying to find a choke and shell that will put 100 in that ten inch circle weather it be 35 or 40 yards. Iam looking to find a good shell and choke for number four lead in a twelve gauge. I believe they throw the most even patterns and you don't need a lot of shot in the ten, just a good even pattern. We all need more information on what shoots best in what. Iam sure that some here on OG could show us some unbelievable patterns with lead.      Cluck

turkeykiller41

I wonder how much lenghtening the forcing cone and polishing on an 870 youth would help lead patterns.

captpete

1187 20ga., 26" barrel, Sumtoy 562-5 choke, Lazered 31yds., Hevi-Shot Triple Beards(lead)----135 in 10" circle.

IA_Gobbler

I don't have a picture, but I got 117 heads in 10" at 35 yds with the Triple Beards out of my 870 w/ 26" barrel and Primos Jelly Head .570

Izzyjoe

That sounds like a good pattern, I may try some!

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Longshanks

The 20 guages have peaked my interest now that my kids are getting old enough to go sit in a ground blind. The lead patterns even seem more interesting especially with my children shooting at their first turkey. I would rather the turkey inside 25 yds and also some wiggle room in the pattern. Have been hunting with a Beretta 390 20 guage and HW 7's for a number of years and it is a killer at 40yds. Thats a long shot for an 6-8 year old. Just got a new 870 20 gauge turkey gun with a 21" bbl and Rem SF .572. I added the 1 inch spacer on the stock to shoot this summer and get the gun dialed in. Shooting double beads and getting all of the 20 guage loads together.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Longshanks on June 09, 2016, 09:41:59 PM
The 20 guages have peaked my interest now that my kids are getting old enough

^^^ This is what got me started.
After all the post reading here on OG. Well...... you know the rest.

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

cardbuster

Shot this about a month ago. 30yrd 2-3/4" #9 Lead shot 7/8oz. 314 in 10 in circle. Still not happy with this so I have the gun out getting some more work done, my goal is to get 350 in 10 in circle. I don't care what is said about ballistic gelatin, this will kill a turkey all day, any day!

TrackeySauresRex

Keeping this one going

@33 ranged, W/Fed GS 3" #5's
MB-500 26" Trulock
Breezy day 10/15 mph

One More

Of course @25/30 both were magnificent

@37 W/LB #6's
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

RMP

Gun:  Browning BPS 20 gauge 28" barrel
Choke:  Carlson's TSS .565