Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Why Not Show Some 20 Gauge Lead Patterns?

Started by R AJ, February 03, 2014, 01:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanHelden Game Calls

This thread interests me a great deal.  While I know Heavy's and the sort will produce, I can't justify the pricing of such loads.

Soooo hunting down the best lead combo I go.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

R AJ

SWEET there man. Looks like you have one of those golden combos and your chokes are smoking.

Glad you gave the Fiocchi 7.5s a try.

TrackeySauresRex

Man that turkey looks drunk!  :TooFunny:
Good shootin with them Fiocchi. I'm gonna give them a try.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

BHMTitan

^^^ Surehuntsalot --- is that the nickel plated pheasant loads?

surehuntsalot

nickp

I will try to post some 35 yard pics with the 2 3/4" #6 high brass win. and rem nitro mag 2 3/4" #4.  Both got around mid 80's if I remember right.  I read on Winchester's website that they are going to be making Rooster XR (Longbeard XR for pheasants, same stuff) in 2 3/4" for sure. 

R AJ

Quote from: nickp on March 14, 2014, 03:16:30 PM
I will try to post some 35 yard pics with the 2 3/4" #6 high brass win. and rem nitro mag 2 3/4" #4.  Both got around mid 80's if I remember right.  I read on Winchester's website that they are going to be making Rooster XR (Longbeard XR for pheasants, same stuff) in 2 3/4" for sure.

Let us know what gun and choke get what.

nothingbutlongbeards

Lead is just not as effective as the others.  You don't normally shoot that many shells
turkey hunting so why not buy the best.  I like the MagBlends and don't consider them
expensive

jakesdad

"Lead is just not as effective as the others."

How much more effective than dead can lead be?Lead is as an effective of a turkey load now as it was when it was the only choice there was.Used inside 35-40 yards lead works as fine as anything,especially with the newer loads that have come out the last couple of years.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

R AJ

Average shots are well within lead kill ranges . Why not use titanium shot or only high end shotguns costing $1500 and more ? Just  Because .This has been discussed too many times to even bring up.
Shoot what floats your boat but don't start condemning others if they don't smoke Camels, wear Muck boots, etc.

Line up 25 dead turkeys and hang em on a pole and see if you can tell which ones were killed with lead, HTL, TSS , etc.

These elitist statements are just that. I made some shots this afternoon with Federal lead pre FC at 25 and 30 yards with a 20 gauge and if HTL and TSS can kill one any better at that range I'd love to see it.
And I do have HTL and some TSS 20 ga loads but they are not the go to shells for most of my hunting.

old frank

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on March 11, 2014, 09:44:38 PM

I ordered some too. $15 for 25 shells is a lot more economical than $20+ dollars for 5 that you have to scramble to find anyway.
I am not enamored with the 40 yard thing anyway. If I can get a turkey to 30 or even 20 then I am doing my job and actually hunting.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: old frank on March 29, 2014, 10:55:20 AM
Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on March 11, 2014, 09:44:38 PM

I ordered some too. $15 for 25 shells is a lot more economical than $20+ dollars for 5 that you have to scramble to find anyway.
I am not enamored with the 40 yard thing anyway. If I can get a turkey to 30 or even 20 then I am doing my job and actually hunting.

yes it is
good luck with them

turkeykiller41

I know this is and old thread but wanted to share what I got with 870 youth with ssx 550 and Remington premier 1.25 oz 3 inch #6 97 hits in the ten inch circle at 35 yards

surehuntsalot

Quote from: turkeykiller41 on March 31, 2016, 05:37:40 PM
I know this is and old thread but wanted to share what I got with 870 youth with ssx 550 and Remington premier 1.25 oz 3 inch #6 97 hits in the ten inch circle at 35 yards

sounds like a good hunting load