OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Burris fastfire 3 or Vortex Venom

Started by kellyguinn, April 19, 2018, 02:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kellyguinn

I am in the market as soon as the season is over to start tinkering with my Mossberg 835. Thinking about going with a pistol type grip and getting one of the mentioned red dots installed. Whats everyone's experience with the way they accept recoil and is there really an advantage over say an old ghost ring type fiber optic sight? Thanks in advance

TurkeyHunterML

Interested in the opinions of the FF3 and the Vortex Venom. I currently run the Truglo fiber optic sights and really like them, however the fiber on the front broke and fell out. I glued the longest piece back in and still use it, but really need a new fiber.

I have several Vortex scopes and like them. I had a pair of Burris Binos and sent them back for warranty work and they sent me a new pair of Steiner Predator. This leads me to belief their warranties (Vortex and Burris) are excellent. I guess it will come down to the best price.

I love the pistol grip stock. I ran a ATI stock for awhile and now run a Knoxx. Like them both A LOT. Knoxx (non-recoil model)gives me ability to adjust length of pullFar more gun control, especially when shooting in weird positions or on my weak side (left vs right).
Mike Lenga Calls (ML Calls)

PharmHunter

I absolutely love the FFIII, and I've never had any issue with the performance of two on two different turkey guns.  Recoil is not a problem.  The only complaint I had was the battery cap.  It can be frustrating when changing.  I broke the threads on one.  Burris promptly sent a replacement no questions asked, as they have one of the best warranties in the business.
I know several friends who have all good things to say about the Vortex Venom, but I have no personal experience.  I believe it has a slightly larger/wider field of view.
In a nutshell, I don't think you can go wrong with either.  I also find them far superior to the old fiber optic type sights.

FL-Boss

that battery cap only seems to be a problem with the battery that comes with the sight.  Change to a different brand battery (Duracell in my case) and the cap always goes on smooth. Weird, don't know why.. just my experience since I change batteries each year.