OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Burris FF III 3 MOA vs 8 MOA  (Read 18655 times)

Offline sugarray

• Paintbrush Beard
Burris FF III 3 MOA vs 8 MOA
« on: February 02, 2014, 06:46:45 PM »
Just would like to ask if anyone that has both, would post up pics looking through the site with a decoy at 40 yds.  It would really help those of us debating.

Thanks!

Offline gobblergls

Re: Burris FF III 3 MOA vs 8 MOA
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 09:11:26 PM »
Draw a 3.2" circle on paper.  Draw a 1.2" circle on paper.  Cut out disks.  Place decoy at 40 yards. Tape one on the head.  Back off 40 yards and look.  Then do the other.  That's what each dot will look like through each ff.
At 20 yards, it would be 1.6" and .6".   Getting a camera to focus at the red dot and the decoy at 40 yards would not be easy.  Depth of field range in any camera that I have wouldn't do it.   From eyeball to red dot is very short.  You would need a camera that would focus at 6-8" and 40 yards.  The paper cut out technique accomplishes the same.

Offline alloutdoors

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 04:04:40 PM »
Ok, I was curious to see what it would look like through the camera lens so here you go. The shadow at the bottom is the out of focus sight and receiver, it made the decoy a bit blurry and exaggerated the halo around the bright center of the dot a bit, but it's actually pretty close to what you see when you look through the sight (of course this is "zoomed in" a bit compared to how a turkey looks at 40 yards to my eyes).

DSD Jake at 40 yards, 3 MOA dot FastFire3

Offline reynolds243

• Longbeard
  • Lebanon TN
    • Simmons Calls
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 04:17:15 PM »
its all opinion. i have the 3 because i like to aim small and i don't like the dot to take over the target, i like it to just sick out on the target just like a bead would.

some love the 8 so its just what you like to look at.

CrustyRusty

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 05:36:30 PM »
That's actually very helpful to see and the paper cutouts a great idea.

Offline turkey_slayer

• Longbeard
  • SouthWest VA
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 07:46:05 PM »
I wish they made a 1 moa but I'm probably in the minority :D

Offline CntrlPA

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 10:06:22 PM »
Ok, I was curious to see what it would look like through the camera lens so here you go.

Thanks for taking the time to do that. Definitely getting the 3moa

Offline gobblergls

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 08:40:24 AM »
I sent a PM to Burris Optics Guy to ask him to have his graphics department work up a photo comparision of what the 8 vs. 3 moa's would look like superimposed on a turkey  head/neck regions at 40 yards and put it in the "sticky" at the top of this subforum.  While I understand the logic of "aim small, miss small", I have not found the 8 moa to be a problem in the field.  I have had 1, 3, 6.5 and 8 moa red dots on Aimpoints, Trijicon, Docter and FF systems.  All are fine for turkeys. There is an advantage on the 8 moa over the smaller dots.  If the 8 moa completely obscures a mature gobblers head and wattles this indicates  he is outside of the 40 yard range.  A 3.2" disk shouldn't completely obscure a gobbler's head.  If it fits inside the head, he is well within range.

Offline alloutdoors

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 10:10:16 AM »
The ranging thing works in theory, but you are assuming in that case that the dot is true to spec. I've looked through a few of the sights and there is definitely some variation, particularly with the amount of flare around the dot. I've seen some where there was almost no flare and you had an almost perfect dot, others show a noticeable star burst pattern around the dot.

Offline gobblergls

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 10:21:10 AM »
. I've seen some where there was almost no flare and you had an almost perfect dot, others show a noticeable star burst pattern around the dot.
I would send it back to whoever made the red dot if there was a noticeable star burst pattern.  That's unacceptable to me and hasn't been a problem with my Aimpoint, Trijicon, Docter or FF series.

Offline mudhen

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 12:18:57 AM »
I went with the 8.

The 4 on my FF II was small enough.

I would buy the 8 again in a heartbeat...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Offline gobblergls

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 04:30:54 PM »
3 vs. 8 moa is a Ford vs. Chevy argument.  ;)

Offline chatterbox

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 07:17:21 PM »
For me, the 8 MOA was perfect! At 40 yards, I had no problem picking up the target, and when I shot my gobbler this spring at 25 yards, I just put the dot on his neck, and dead bird!
I think it comes down to personal preference. I looked through the sight with the 3 MOA, and just found it too small for my liking. I was very worried it would wash out in the later part of the day, and I would have a hard time picking it up. I didn't find the 8 MOA too big at all.

Offline savduck

• Limbhanger
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 04:23:49 PM »
They need to make a green dot sight.
Georgia Boy

Offline reynolds243

• Longbeard
  • Lebanon TN
    • Simmons Calls
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »