turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Awesome Patterns With Long Beard XR and Turkey Thugs

Started by TBab, February 01, 2014, 08:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBab

Just picked up my new Mossberg 835 yesterday evening and brought it home and gave it a deep cleaning. Woke up this morning to a beautiful day in the mid 60's and decided to get on the pattern boards. I used my 835 with 24'' ported barrel and Winchester Long Beard XR 3.5 2oz. #5's and Federal Turkey Thugs 3.5 2oz. #5's at 38 yards. Couldn't get dead on 40. I was pleased to say the least with the patterns I got from both shells. The first picture is the long beards and the second will be the turkey thugs.
Where Lead Meets The Head
Should've had more sense than to try an call a turkey through a barbed wire fence

TBab

Should've had more sense than to try an call a turkey through a barbed wire fence

chatterbox

TBab

thanks Chatterbox. I forgot to mention the .690 Jelly Head that those loads were going through.

owlhoot

wow , great patterns, that a bunch of 5's in the ten

drum817

They both look GREAT!!!!  I'm VERY surprised by those Thugs!!!  Was that a tapped or lasered 38 ?
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

TBab

Quote from: drum817 on February 01, 2014, 10:00:34 PM
They both look GREAT!!!!  I'm VERY surprised by those Thugs!!!  Was that a tapped or lasered 38 ?

That was lasered

drum817

Quote from: TBab on February 01, 2014, 10:42:35 PM

That was lasered

I have some of last years Turkey Thug 3" 6's & 5's on the way...I got em as back up loads but your pattern with those has got me excited about shooting them!!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

TBab

Quote from: drum817 on February 01, 2014, 10:45:19 PM
Quote from: TBab on February 01, 2014, 10:42:35 PM

That was lasered

I have some of last years Turkey Thug 3" 6's & 5's on the way...I got em as back up loads but your pattern with those has got me excited about shooting them!!!

Sounds good Drum. I cant wait to see what you put up with them. Hope you have as good of luck with them as i did. :icon_thumright:

Punisher

TBab

Quote from: Punisher on February 02, 2014, 01:44:03 AM
216/10".  That is unheard of.

I was blown away Punisher. My wife walked out and counted and told me and I said she was lying. lol I still have a few chokes and shell combos to try but Im going to do the same test again and if the Jelly Head and the Federals do it again I guess Ill have my load for the year. lol

ericjames

Quote from: TBab on February 02, 2014, 02:07:00 AM
Quote from: Punisher on February 02, 2014, 01:44:03 AM
216/10".  That is unheard of.

I was blown away Punisher. My wife walked out and counted and told me and I said she was lying. lol I still have a few chokes and shell combos to try but Im going to do the same test again and if the Jelly Head and the Federals do it again I guess Ill have my load for the year. lol

My best with that same gun/barrel and 3.5-6 thugs .  Only difference is a .670 pure gold was 181@ lasered 40. That's a smoking pattern you have. One friend of mine has a 935 with a 28" and stardot put up 186 with one as soon as I shot. He couldn't believe that lead partnered that way. He wasn't getting but 190-210 with magblends. This was last year.

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Matt81302

Glad you and your gun like the choke. Good luck this season.