OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

still have issues with 535 pattern

Started by hs strut, February 01, 2014, 07:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hs strut

both barrels are spotless and have been deep cleaned
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

owlhoot

Good and dried out before you shot. No oily residue in the barrel?

hs strut

yes we ran patches till they were dry and spotless
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

jrmcclure

My 535 loves hevi magnum blends. I shoot the 3" to help with recoil. I shoot a. 660 Primos tightwad. About 220 pellets in a 10" circle.  It patterns tight, I also find a red dot helpful.

jrmcclure

I wouldn't waste anymore time on patterning lead. I tried it all and wasn't  happy, a few were decent out of the 28" barrel the 22" barrel was afwul with lead.  Hevi shot can be ordered online and has a $10 rebate a box now . You will be glad you switched to hevi

hs strut

Quote from: jrmcclure on February 02, 2014, 08:22:26 PM
I wouldn't waste anymore time on patterning lead. I tried it all and wasn't  happy, a few were decent out of the 28" barrel the 22" barrel was afwul with lead.  Hevi shot can be ordered online and has a $10 rebate a box now . You will be glad you switched to hevi
Quote from: jrmcclure on February 02, 2014, 08:17:09 PM
My 535 loves hevi magnum blends. I shoot the 3" to help with recoil. I shoot a. 660 Primos tightwad. About 220 pellets in a 10" circle.  It patterns tight, I also find a red dot helpful.
thanks im goin to try and order a box or two monday and as for the recoil i know what ya mean those 3.5s pack a pretty hard punch what choke are you running

owlhoot

Has anyone seen numbers that low before.?

SumToy

Well get you some junk shells (walmart 8's).  Set up a target at say 50 ft.  Check the POA/POI with choke you want to shoot.  Then move to 40 yards.  I think you may not be seeing the pattern. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

jrmcclure

I've shot both the stock. 670 choke and the Primos tightwad in. 660. The Primos puts up higher numbers in the ten " circle, but the stock xxturkey will also shoot a good pattern with hevi-shot and both will hold a pattern well past normal turkey Hunting yardages. 

hs strut

just a little update i now have a box of the hevi shot 3'' magnum blends and a few new targets to shoot ill let yall know when i pattern the new loads

djenkins32

hope all goes well I love my 535, its lightweight easy to carry and kicks like a mule hahaha but my 240lbs can take it  :z-guntootsmiley:

hs strut

yeah they kick like a mule im goin to try the .670 factory and my .660 jellyhead

chatterbox

Quote from: hs strut on February 05, 2014, 07:45:51 PM
yeah they kick like a mule im goin to try the .670 factory and my .660 jellyhead
They do. I hated my 535. Sold it, and bought an 835, and never looked back.

knightrider

Quote from: hs strut on February 05, 2014, 07:45:51 PM
I wouldnt  waste shells with the factory, the jelly head and 3 in magblends should tickle you just fine :OGturkeyhead:

Skeeterbait

Your problem is likely being caused by shooting flight control wads thru a choke with ports.  The flight control wad is meant to be shot thru a non ported or internal choke.  The intent was to get good patterns with standard fixed or internal chokes.  The problem is the ports grab and tear the wings on the flight control wad causing it to fly erratic and disrupt the shot column.  Use your ported choke with standard wad shells or flight control shells with your internal  flush chokes and your results should improve either way.