OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

still have issues with 535 pattern

Started by hs strut, February 01, 2014, 07:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hs strut

okay folks ive changed chokes and loads and i am still getting poor results the first pattern is this setup: .660 jellyhead federal premium high velocity flight control 3in 1 3/4 oz 6 shot i counted 54 pellets the second was this setup: federal premium high velocity flight control 3 1/4 oz 5 shot with the trulock .660 the count was 38 pellets i know most everybody says to try the heavy 13 s so far i cant find any here these were both 40 yds 10 '' circle any help is appreciated
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

knightrider

if you can get your hands on them I would try some win high velocity 6 or longbeards in the 5 or 6 you have two good chokes I would try some different shells :z-guntootsmiley:

hs strut

Quote from: knightrider on February 01, 2014, 07:28:19 PM
if you can get your hands on them I would try some win high velocity 6 or longbeards in the 5 or 6 you have two good chokes I would try some different shells :z-guntootsmiley:
thanks im goin to call the local gun shop monday and see if he can get any in of both if i can
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

Bama turkey hunter

Tony

hs strut

thanks guys i have never been so frustrated with a gun before

SCDieselDawg

Check with local wal mart and see if the have any federal turkey thugs. They were the shell to best last year when it comes to lead loads.

hs strut

it tried walmart this mornin they dont have the turkry stuff out yet oh and guys ive been using the 28'' barrel what barrel do yall see a good pattern out of i have the 22'' as well

Xcal1ber

Shoot the Federals with the Flite Control Wad through a non ported choke. Also look at the Long Beards from Wincherster.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

hs strut

Quote from: Xcal1ber on February 01, 2014, 09:30:14 PM
Shoot the Federals with the Flite Control Wad through a non ported choke. Also look at the Long Beards from Wincherster.
im havin poor results with the flite controls im goin to try and order some lonbeards monday

chatterbox

I have an idea, and I am not sure this will help, but I think I know what is wrong.
Are you shooting at a 36'' X 36'' piece of paper? It looks to me like you may not be finding the densest part of your pattern. Very few shotguns shoot POA to POI, and they need some kind of sights to bring them together. Just because you are aiming at the dot, unless your gun is dialed in, doesn't mean that is where your core is.
Is this your 20" barrel pattern? I know from experience, those guns have wicked muzzle whip with that short barrel and a 3.5" shell.
So my advice is (if you haven't already) is to get a big sheet of paper, put a dot on it, aim for the dot, then draw a 10" circle around the densest part of the pattern. If the densest part isn't where your POA is, then you will need adjustable sights.
As far as shells go, try the longbeards or Hevi-13's in the 3" shell.
Good luck, and keep us posted!

djenkins32

I have same gun and i would do what chatterbox said. and as for the barrels i get better patterns with the 22 inch barrel

hs strut

thanks guys ive been tryin the 28'' ill deffinetly try the 22'' barrel ill try the 36'' paper i will keep yall posted its raining kinda hard here right now so it may be a few days till i can shoot again and again thanks for all the help guys

owlhoot

Good idea, switch the barrel. That is just a low number from those chokes.
Switching loads around just spending more money might help, but with those numbers already something else is wrong. Barrel is what is left to try.
After that fine tune with loads.
Chatter had good idea and would like to add.
Is that a ten inch diameter circle??????????  ten inches a cross. BOTH WAYS.

hs strut

yeah ive been  doin  10x10 circle anybody else have this much trouble patterin your 535

owlhoot

you need try that other barrel. with 2 chokes, both cant be bad, two loads both cant be bad.
What does that barrel look like inside?