OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New Website Exposes ‘Green Decoys’ Environmental Activists  (Read 5344 times)

Offline ctwny1

• The Boss Gobbler
New Website Exposes ‘Green Decoys’ Environmental Activists
« on: January 31, 2014, 04:32:38 AM »
Please read this:

Today, the Center for Consumer Freedom launched a new website aimed at exposing self-anointed sportsmen’s advocacy groups for what they really are: Radical environmentalists with a hidden far-left agenda. Specifically, the website focuses on five such “sportsmen’s” groups that purport to speak on behalf of America’s hunters and anglers, revealing an interconnected web of personnel and funding sources notorious for their support of radical environmentalism.

The website (http://www.greendecoys.com/ ) includes a detailed report http://www.greendecoys.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/green-decoys-report.pdf
on the following organizations:

Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership
Trout Unlimited
Izaak Walton League of America
Bull Moose Sportsmen’s Alliance
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Offline stringtown

Re: New Website Exposes ‘Green Decoys’ Environmental Activists
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 07:24:57 AM »
Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to do a little digging before donating money to any of these organizations.

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 08:14:25 AM »
Nothing new here -- in Florida the stake holder meetings at the fwc ' and water management district are dominated with "shareholder" " stakeholder " member groups that are hollow or have anti hunting policies - a example is the abundance of equestrian groups that are making claims that the gun shots are upsetting the horses , or a stray bullet could hit a horse ..... These groups are only organizations on paper and have zero numerical backing

They get extra seats ....and get political clout and policy changes in that manner

I say we hunters follow the same tactic and use it against them and pop out several hunting groups to make the same hollow bluff organizations , and fight fire with fire 
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 10:24:10 AM »
Hmmmm,...I know people that are involved with each of these named groups and they are as serious about hunting and fishing, and preserving our privileges of doing both, as anybody I know.  In fact, the ones I know are actively working to protect our interests.  What they do have in common is that they recognize that what we do is a privilege, not a right, and to keep that privilege we have to work with the other 93% of the population that could vote to keep us from legally hunting and fishing.  Those that think we will continue to hunt and fish without including that other 93% in the discussion have basically got their heads buried in the sand.

Offline opster246

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 02:00:28 PM »
"TRCP is also behind the formation of the Union Sportsmen’s Alliance (USA). A joint effort with 20 labor unions, the Union Sportsmen’s Alliance’s goal is “to lure the political allegiance of gun-owning union members away from the NRA and its political agenda”—and presumably toward that of liberal-backing labor groups. “[A]bout a quarter of union members said they belonged to the National Rifle Association, an affiliation that displeases some Democratic union leaders,” The Washington Post reported. The effort came with $1.2 million in seed money from labor to TRCP. The Union Sportsmen’s Alliance claims to be in favor of the Second Amendment, yet TRCP has received $150,000 from the anti-gun Joyce Foundation. Barack Obama was a board member of the Joyce Foundation between 1994 and 2002."

The Washington Post reported? Well, now that MUST be factual. This is a bunch of Whooey!!  I am a charter member of the Union Sportsmen's Alliance, had an opportunity to serve as a Pro-Staff member and as such, had the opportunity to work closely with the management team of the USA.  I don't know anything about the inner workings of the TRPC, but have found through my own experiences (not via the Washington Post?!) that this is all garbage!  The TRPC was foundational in the creation of the USA.  It was established to give the trades (blue collar workers) a voice in conservation (since the vast majority of sportsmen are "average joes").  The USA is now a stand-alone organization that promotes the outdoors to union members.  It has initiated conservation programs such as the Boots on the Ground initiative in which trades men and women volunteer their time and talents to support state and federal projects.  There is NO agenda to draw membership from the NRA-as a matter of a fact, to my understanding, the USA's position is to stay out of the politics and remain neutral on such matters-which is why they separated from the TRCP.  The TRCP lobbies for hunters by trying to protect the open spaces and habitat that are critical for us as hunters.

This web site goes on to say " TRCP claims to support the right to hunt and fish, and so it should be a vocal proponent of gun rights. But when pressed, TRCP couldn’t offer a stance. “
  • thers know far more than we do about the Second Amendment,” TRCP stated. Bizarrely, WyoFile reports that Whit Forsburgh, head of TRCP, “doesn’t view President Obama as a threat to gun rights.” TRCP’s non-stance is even stranger given that a portion of every sale of firearms and ammunition is earmarked for conservation programs."

So let me get this straight- When asked, the TRCP says they support hunting and fishing.  When asked about the Second amendment, their response sounds more to me like they are letting the NRA handle that area and the TRCP is sticking to habitat preservation and ensuring open access to sportsmen.  This is extreme-ism at its finest, don't buy into all the bologna here. 

By the way - what is the "Center for Consumer Freedom".  I've never heard of this one before, sounds to me like they are the "radicals" with a hidden agenda here.

Offline spaightlabs

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 02:21:28 PM »
Yeah, Trout Unlimited's crazy agenda of Clean water is definitely BS,along with their ideas of improving riparian habitat...

Be interesting to know the full story behind the group that calls them out...