OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Nebraska Turkey Hunt  (Read 5613 times)

Offline Chilly

Nebraska Turkey Hunt
« on: January 28, 2014, 11:37:53 AM »
My brother and I are wanting to take a trip to Nebraska in 2015.  We are not worried about having a guide on this hunt.  The only thing we are wanting is a place that has birds that we are allowed to hunt with the correct permits.  If you were going to go about it, would you choose and outfitter or go out and hunt public land?  We are from KY and are just wanting to go after another species to eventually get our grand slam.  All input is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

Offline agturkey

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Give more than you take!
Re: Nebraska Turkey Hunt
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 12:22:53 AM »
I am in KY...
If you want a true Merriam be open and specific on where to go...if you bowhunt vs gun hunt you will be happier on public choices and the crowd....go after May 14 if yiu can for shotgun.  Try to make KS and NE combo...its not the public land that is the issue its trying to find a place to stay...buy a good tent! 

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 02:15:11 PM »
I would not go before the first of May due to weather but I wouldn't wait until mid May either.
If you want a TRUE Merrimams you will need to go to the Chadron area in the northwest corner.
Anywhere else and you are likely to get a hybrid.
I, too, am from KY.

Offline turkeyfoot

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 10:42:09 AM »
Always take the weather into consideration above is right about early to mid May nothing worse than taking vacation and hunting in sleet high winds and snow storms all likely early and through lot of April

Offline Bigspurs68

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 12:29:52 AM »
If I were to do it again, I'd go right back to Chadron and bowhunt early IF the weather cooperated, then run up to Hill City S.D and catch the opener there. Early is a gamble but chances are they will still be in their wintering areas. When you find them, you will be in a target rich environment. My oldest girl who was 9 at the time and I did this a couple years ago and were very successful.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

Offline Chilly

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 09:20:48 PM »
Thanks for all of the input.  I really appreciate it.
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 10:19:28 PM »
We are making a trip to Kyle, SD (Pine Ridge Indian Reservation), that is just north of Chadron, NE, on the 7th of May.  I'll let you know how this trip goes.