turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fed HW/Choke Question

Started by decoykrvr, January 26, 2014, 07:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

decoykrvr

I just got a "too good to pass up deal" on some Federal HW 7's.  What is the concensus on the best choke constriction for these shells?  Due to the reduced pellet count for HW, what are good numbers in 10" at 40 yards?

Rem Man

I have bought and tried several chokes!!! I and many others here will agree that first the Fed Hw #7's are no doubt the shell for the 10 gauge, second get yourself a Kick's .685 or a .690. I have a Rem Sp-10 and a n H&R 10, both guns with the Hw 7 and the Kick's put up 216-235 at 42 yds. The Hw shot hits like the hammer of Thor!!!! and like no other shell i have ever shot. GOOD LUCK!

Rockhound

Old Gobbler

Kicks 690  is what I have -- Shoots real tight with that choke

I have 20 boxes of hw#7 in 10ga -  the stuff hits HARD , blows right through 5/8 thigh hardwood ply at 40 yards -- 

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Pressured Gobbler

Quote from: Old Gobbler on January 28, 2014, 10:17:01 PM
Kicks 690  is what I have -- Shoots real tight with that choke

I have 20 boxes of hw#7 in 10ga -  the stuff hits HARD , blows right through 5/8 thigh hardwood ply at 40 yards --

That is like to see!!! I just bought a box and will be testing in the next couple weeks... I shall see...

shotgun_oly

I'd like to reiterate what the others have said and recommend trying a .685 or .690 but with a non ported choke like a Trulock or better yet a Hastings if you can find one. .685 Hastings provided the best patterns for me :OGturkeyhead:
Best of luck
Oly

steveo

My BPS 10 likes the 685GT with the #7s

NC_10

Quote from: shotgun_oly on March 07, 2014, 10:39:44 PM
I'd like to reiterate what the others have said and recommend trying a .685 or .690 but with a non ported choke like a Trulock or better yet a Hastings if you can find one. .685 Hastings provided the best patterns for me :OGturkeyhead:
Best of luck
Oly

Would you happen to have a photo of the pattern of the .685 choke with the #7s ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mathews bowhunter

What would yall recommend for 6s? I bought a box today and shot them out of a Hastings 690 and I'm not impressed at all.

shotgun_oly

Quote from: NC_10 on March 23, 2014, 03:30:53 PM

Quote from: shotgun_oly on March 07, 2014, 10:39:44 PM
Best of luck
Oly

Would you happen to have a photo of the pattern of the .685 choke with the #7s ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No pics of #7's but here's a pic of the 6's http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,25259.0.html

shotgun_oly

Quote from: mathews bowhunter on March 23, 2014, 07:36:38 PM
What would yall recommend for 6s? I bought a box today and shot them out of a Hastings 690 and I'm not impressed at all.

Hastings .690 did ok with my gun but the real winner for me was the .685 with the 6's. Others have had good luck with the kicks gt .690, maybe it'll do better for you :z-twocents:

mathews bowhunter

Have you tried the kicks with yours? I'm just wondering. BTW, I'm shooting a H&R with a 24" barrel. I've got a jellyhead .690 but I didnt shoot any of it out of it because I"ve read where it doesn't shoot as well as the hastings. I looked at the Bass Pro in LR, AR this morning for a kicks 690. They carry no chokes for a 10 gauge. I didn't see any in any brand actually. I guess I'll order me one or the other. I'm torn between the 2 tho..... :character0029:

shotgun_oly

Sorry but no I don't shoot a kicks with my 10 :bike2: but I'm sure the ones that have will chime in soon :popcorn: For what its worth I never had much luck with my .695 JH either, but then again that was through a B. Gold

mathews bowhunter

Well I heard a lot of hype about the jh so I ordered one. It did ok. I ordered me a kicks 690 last night. I'll see what that does!   :z-guntootsmiley:

TRex18

I have a Long Barrel NEF 10, with a Kicks GT .695, you guys think I should see some pretty good numbers with the Fed HW 7s, I was thinking about ordering a Sumtoy .685, for it.