OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Turkey loads for Mossberg 835

Started by JellyHead Key, January 22, 2014, 10:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JellyHead Key

I have my Jelly Head for my Mossberg 835 but I'm just curious if anyone has a 835 with a Jelly Head and what kind of loads y'all have had success with? I'm wanting to pattern my gun this weekend and wanted to try out a few different types. Any suggestions?

SCDieselDawg

3.5" Hevi-13 #6s

I can't remember which lead loads I tried through it but I do remember none really showed up.

JellyHead Key

That's a pretty strong pattern there! Def have to try those out!

SCDieselDawg

Put the elbow grease into cleaning your barrel! They tend to be pretty dirty straight out of the box.

TrackeySauresRex

^ What Deisle said....

I don't know what the best is. However,.....
This is what has worked well for me!
Ol Mossy 24" pipe non ported. Original Realtree camo model.
J.H 690
3-½ Win hv 5's or 6's 2oz(lead) and Red 6's 2-¼oz(lead)xx mag
Great even turkey killing pattern's.
Ooo... and the Win 4's aren't too shabby either 

In my set up now. I shoot the MB-5,6,7 This shoots real well too  ;D

I have not tried the new Win LB..
:anim_25:   

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

trkehunr93

Win HV 5's 3.5" 2oz., good, even pattern out to 40.  I have a Preston Pittman Bossbuster on mine, essentially a Star Dot. 

chatterbox

I have had good luck with an SSX .670 and Hevi-13 3-2-7's.
I may not put up 3.5" shell numbers, but I get right around 200 in the 10" circle at 40, and I don't have a flinch anymore.
Win-win for me.

JellyHead Key

Quote from: trkehunr93 on January 23, 2014, 03:26:33 PM
Win HV 5's 3.5" 2oz., good, even pattern out to 40.  I have a Preston Pittman Bossbuster on mine, essentially a Star Dot.

Where can I get Preston Pittman? I've seen some Star Dots on eBay but I'm unsure if they fake.

JellyHead Key

Quote from: chatterbox on January 23, 2014, 08:27:30 PM
I have had good luck with an SSX .670 and Hevi-13 3-2-7's.
I may not put up 3.5" shell numbers, but I get right around 200 in the 10" circle at 40, and I don't have a flinch anymore.
Win-win for me.

Going to pick up some Hevi-13 3-2-7s tomorrow morning!

SumToy

675 rang choke.  The HV13 7's will go big numbers.  The 6's will be a nice hunting pattern. 
The Fed FCW lead loads work good out the gun as for a cheap load.
The Winchester Long Beard will be the best bang for the buck if you keep it around the 40 yard mark.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

jblackburn

I get 140s in 10 inch circle @ 40 with Win XX (red shell) supreme 6s with a mossberg xfull extended tube.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

ILIKEHEVI-13

This is the load and choke you need. 

Info is on the target. 

JellyHead Key

Thanks a lot guys. Think Im gonna go with the Hevi-13s

trkehunr93

Quote from: JellyHead Key on January 23, 2014, 09:01:54 PM
Quote from: trkehunr93 on January 23, 2014, 03:26:33 PM

Where can I get Preston Pittman? I've seen some Star Dots on eBay but I'm unsure if they fake.
I got mine from a trusted member of this site about 2 years ago.  I will never sell that choke.  It performs really well with 3.5" Hevi-13 7's as well, but I am back to lead due to the cost of Hevi-13.  The hevis averaged in the 230's at 40 for me.  Hevi 6's shot well thru it as well.  If you willing to spend the $$ stick with Hevi Shot.