OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tuning a pot call

Started by azturkeyaddict, March 11, 2011, 04:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azturkeyaddict

Hi I'm new here, been lurking around for a while and joined today. I hear talk of "tuning" a pot call (I just called it a slate call till I starting following you guys posts and have come to realize there is more than slate out there). Anyway your advise would be appreciated. I have received a pot call kit, Walnut with glass soundboard and slate and have put it together. Just waiting for the glue to dry to start sanding the surface and figured some of you would live to give me some advise. Thanks, Terry

Crutch

Use scotchbrite.  Don't over pressure the striker against the slate. Get another striker or two, from my experience, the heavier striker is deeper and course (rasp) the lighter strikers are higher pitched. More or less. Have fun.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

handcannon

If I understand you correctly, your talking about tuning a pot like you would a box call. To my knowledge you really cant do it. Once you pull the call from a lathe and glue in the materials, that's pretty much what you end up with. Now you could possibly do a little sanding on the bottom to reduce the thickness which will change the tone but your real difference is gonna come from different strikers. If you are putting together a kit, more than likely the designer has a pretty good pattern or design that works for him. Using different soundboard material and striking surfaces will change the sound that the call produces along with different wood types of strikers.

With that walnut slate over glass combo, you should have a pretty good sound. You mentioned sanding the surface when the glue dries. If it's slate you shouldnt need to unless you have something such as glue or oils from your hands soaked into the slate. Post up some pics after you get it done and let us know how she sounds.

azturkeyaddict

Thanks for the info, did use a light touch with the scotchbrite and sounded pretty good. Put another coat of poly on so tomorrow get to play with it a bit.
I will take a photo and post it, not as beautiful as most of the ones I see on this site, but I think it looks good.
As for the striker, does anyone use anything besides the basic top ie: antler material, short hickory stubs, etc. Just wondering, don't want to reinvent the wheel.  :-\

handcannon

You can use all sorts of materials on top if your planning on making a two piece striker. I've seen antler material, shotgun shells filled with epoxy, corn cobs, and all kind of other stuff. All you need to do is experiment and see what you come up with.

azturkeyaddict

Quote from: Gitzit69 on March 11, 2011, 11:08:13 PM
Hey Terry,  :welcomeOG:
It sounds like you glued up the pot before the finish. It's better to do all your sanding and finish before you put it together. I put a couple of coats inside as well to seal the entire call.
Dave
Thanks for the welcome  :)
I did sand it and coated inside and out with poly before I glued. I thought I was suppose to sand the slate but Crutch suggested scotchbrite so I went with that. I did give the outside of the pot another coat of poly, looking nice now!
This morning everything is dry and I did a few soft strokes( didn't want to wake everyone up) with a couple of strikers I have, sounding pretty good!
Again thanks to all that have responded, your advise is greatly appreciated.

Crutch

If you saw the striker I put together a couple years ago when I couldn't find the original striker for the cheap pot I had, you would be rolling on the floor laughing. Then again, last year I altered it. This year I'll be using a pot and striker by Pappy, plus a few pots I have since built. It sounds like you are years ahead of where I started.  Try different things while learing your new pot. Pressure, movement, angle and speed all effect the sound.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble: