OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Gobbler Displays  (Read 6239 times)

Offline MKMGOBL

Gobbler Displays
« on: January 13, 2014, 01:50:57 PM »
The 1st photo is of my son’s gobbler he thumped back in May. The 2nd photo is on my 2012 gobbler I nicknamed O2B….(Ole 2 Beards).

Now he did not have 2 beards but I scouted him & hunted him as O2B for two seasons so he’ll remain as O2B on my wall & whenever I tell the stories of our battles together :icon_thumright:

"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Gobbler Displays
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 08:24:27 PM »
That looks good! Last yr I passed on a white/gray color phase jake. I am hoping to cross paths with him this yr, but I dont have the funds to do a mount. I have been trying to do some research on doing my own cape. Any tips?
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Offline MKMGOBL

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 10:43:27 AM »

That looks good! Last yr I passed on a white/gray color phase jake. I am hoping to cross paths with him this yr, but I dont have the funds to do a mount. I have been trying to do some research on doing my own cape. Any tips?

THANKS! Now that would make a great mount :icon_thumright: As for your question, I'm sorry but I can't help ya. These both were done by my taxidermists & would have cost me $100 each if he didn't bet I could call him in a gobbler. So on the only day he could get out...in the last hour of our season...in 90+ black fly infested temps...I called in 2 hens & a gobbler that tipped over at 17yds ;D FREEEEEE MOUNT!

I have seen DIY cape mounts instruction online so I know their out there. I'm sure that if you posted a new thread on the topic someone would reply from on here. Sorry I can't help you out more than that :( Good luck with that gobbler & hope to see him on the forum this season.

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 02:29:24 PM »
Very nice!

Was O2B's beard split causing you to think he had two?

Offline MKMGOBL

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 03:49:19 PM »
Thanks Terry ;) This should clear it up...

Here is O2B back while scouting before the 2011 season.

This was him scouting in 2012 on a farm ½ mile away. Funny thing is I killed him on the farm in the photo above.

I've been told that because he wasn't “a true double beard”, I shouldn't call him O2B. I won't do that but I'm also not going to let people think he's a double bearded bird.

I’m not sure why it really matters to the guy & his buddy crying about me nicknaming him O2B. I've got 2 double bearded birds & 1 triple bearded birds to my name, so it's not like I'm trying to claim something new or special :TooFunny: 

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 04:20:23 PM »
People worry about stupid stuff. Regardless, he is a beautiful bird.

Offline MKMGOBL

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 04:28:58 PM »
Thanks :icon_thumright: The scouting, the game planning, the battles that he kicked my butt on & the battle I kicked his butt on....that's what it's all about.

Offline hookedspur

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 01:53:10 PM »
I love the mounts
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Offline Redfish

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 02:46:19 PM »
Looks great. I'm going to attempt a mount like that myself this year if I'm successful.
John 3:16

Offline sadkins

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 03:48:12 PM »
Awesome!

Elite Energy 35
Matthews Z7 Extreme
PSE X Force 7

Offline mwr

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 01:26:09 AM »
sure is pretty!!! :icon_thumright:

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 07:32:14 PM »
Beautiful birds/mounts......

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 11:50:36 AM »
Thanks! Yours look sure look good!

THANKS! Now that would make a great mount :icon_thumright: As for your question, I'm sorry but I can't help ya. These both were done by my taxidermists & would have cost me $100 each if he didn't bet I could call him in a gobbler. So on the only day he could get out...in the last hour of our season...in 90+ black fly infested temps...I called in 2 hens & a gobbler that tipped over at 17yds ;D FREEEEEE MOUNT!

I have seen DIY cape mounts instruction online so I know their out there. I'm sure that if you posted a new thread on the topic someone would reply from on here. Sorry I can't help you out more than that :( Good luck with that gobbler & hope to see him on the forum this season.

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott