OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Stoeger M3500 with Jellyhead and 3.5 Winchester Double X #6  (Read 13165 times)

Offline JuniorPre 360

Stoeger M3500 with Jellyhead and 3.5 Winchester Double X #6
« on: January 12, 2014, 10:25:23 PM »
I'm just starting out turkey hunting this year and am starting to get my gear together and gun patterned. I guess I could post a picture if necessary, but I thought I'd just post my results. Here is my setup:

Gun:
Stoeger M3500
Primos Jellyhead choke tube
Stock bead sight

Ammo:
Winchester Double X 3.5 inch #6 shot

I shot some primos turkey head targets at 20, 30, and 40 yards. My results at 20 yards were great and I didn't really think I would post results or count all of the holes.

At 30 yards, I got 69 holes in the turkey's head (not counting the beak) and neck and maybe a little more than double within the 10 inch orange circle on the target. I felt like this would definitely put a turkey down.

40 yards, I'm hoping to get a lot of input from you guys that are more experienced when it comes to shooting and patterning. I ended up taking 3 shots because I flinched before I shot. I got a good shot on a new target I felt comfortable with saying it would be the shot I would make during the hunt. I got 32 on the head (4 in the brain) and neck and 59 within the 10 inch circle. I was wondering what I should I be expecting at 40 yards.

Again, I was using #6 Double X 3.5 inch shells. If anyone thinks they have advice on a better shotgun shell that would pattern better, please let me know. I would appreciate it. Also, if you have any kind of explanation of how and why a different shell or size of shot would be better, that would be great. Thanks again!

Offline chatterbox

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Stoeger M3500 with Jellyhead and 3.5 Winchester Double X #6
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 05:14:17 AM »
First of all, welcome to the OG. There is a lot of great info here.
It is very difficult to know what your gun is doing based on what you are telling us.
The best thing to do when patterning, is to get a 36"X36" piece of paper and see how your pattern looks. Shooting at turkey targets won't tell you what your gun is doing, and where the core of your pattern is, especially if your POA (point of aim), is different than your POI (point of impact).
You need to have a minimum of 100 pellets in a 10" circle at your max distance to have an effective shell and load combo. The only way to know this is to get out and shoot and see what your gun is doing.
However, if you are flinching, you will never know where your gun is hitting, because it will probably never hit in the same spot twice. Those Winchesters hit hard on both ends.
My advice would be to drop down to a 3" shell to help get rid of the flinch, and see which ones will give you the numbers you need. I would look into the Winchester longbeard shell in the 3" variety. Also deep clean that barrel. Go to www.allaboutshooting.com and look up deep cleaning a shotgun barrel. This is Clark Bush's site, and there is a lot of good info on there!
Best of luck, and ask lots of questions. There is good info on here!

Offline JuniorPre 360

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 10:16:44 AM »
I appreciate the response. I had read about cleaning the barrel so I actually did clean it before I shot. I'll have to pick up some cardboard at my work today and take some more shots. The answer I was trying to get from someone was your thoughts about the 100 pellets within a 10 inch circle. Is that possible at 40 yards? I read a lot of these reviews online that say they kill turkeys at 60 and 70 yards. I personally thought it was BS but I don't know.

One more question, will the 3 inch shells still be as effective as the 3.5? I've shot 3.5 all my life, but holy crap! These turkey shells really have some kick to them!

Offline SCDieselDawg

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 10:29:24 AM »
I agree with Chatterbox! 

Yes 3" shells will get it done at 40. With H-13 some are pushing 200 with a 3" shell. Do your self a favor and check Cabelas and see if you can get a box of Winchesters new LongBeard shells. They are new this year and are amazing! Check out some of the pattern pictures here in the patterning section, especially Sumtoy's post about a 20" Remington.

Offline JuniorPre 360

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 10:49:46 AM »
I did count the shot within the 10 inch circle and posted that info. 30 yards went great for me, but everyone is telling me to do better at 40. I'll give it another go probably with some 3 inch longbeards then. Should I stick with #6 or is that an unanswerable question and something I'll need to find out with my gun/choke combo?

Offline reynolds243

• Longbeard
  • Lebanon TN
    • Simmons Calls
Stoeger M3500 with Jellyhead and 3.5 Winchester Double X #6
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 10:58:14 AM »
I have a 3500 and with a hevi shot choke and SumToy 650 shooting hevi magblends and hevi 7s I was putting 225-260 at 40.

3500 is a great gun and with the right choke and ammo you will love it.

Offline R AJ

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 10:30:38 PM »
I did count the shot within the 10 inch circle and posted that info. 30 yards went great for me, but everyone is telling me to do better at 40. I'll give it another go probably with some 3 inch longbeards then. Should I stick with #6 or is that an unanswerable question and something I'll need to find out with my gun/choke combo?

6s will serve you well for 40 and under, fives are not a bad choice either. I went with 6s for pattern coverage.

Offline JuniorPre 360

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 10:53:32 PM »
Thanks! I'm heading to Cabelas in 2 weeks because we're heading down that way. I'm going to pick up a box of Longbeard #6. I want 3 inchers so hopefully they'll have some. I'll post up a pattern when I get it done. I hear they're good at 50 yards. I'm not shooting anything passed 35 though.

Offline CASH

• Legendary
  • Global Moderator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 10:02:26 PM »
Just a thought, if you're flinching. If you have a lead sled or something similar, use it when you pattern your gun. Also, if you don't have the recoil reducer installed, put it in. It will help with the recoil some on the magnum loads.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Offline JuniorPre 360

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 10:14:43 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I did have the recoil reducer in. I put it in for duck season. Not sure if I'm being a baby, but WOW they sure kicked. I always use 3.5's for swan and can't really recall an instance of when one knocked me over while shooting.

Offline scdxt

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 08:56:42 AM »
 :welcomeOG:my friend hoots a 3500 and I have a 2000. We both shot chokes in the .650-660 range with #6 hevi,magblend,and the new win long beard. We both are shooting long beard this year. Benellis and stoegers are small bore barrels so you will find you need to choke them a little more. Your jellyhead should be a .655 for that gun which is a good choke. Keep the barrel clean and try different shells until you find the pattern you want. Shoot at big paper like 4'x4'. Might have to run a red dot or sights to get the pattern on center. I start out with dove loads at 20 yards to sight in with and then move to 40. Hope this helps

Offline JuniorPre 360

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 10:56:19 AM »
I start out with dove loads at 20 yards to sight in with and then move to 40. Hope this helps
I had never thought of this. It may save me a few bucks. Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping the Long Beards will do the trick. I just got my box of 3 inch #5's yesterday and plan on patterning them either today or tomorrow.

Offline Xcal1ber

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 11:55:34 AM »
You should really like those Long Beard XR's
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.