OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Macassar Ebony Push Pins  (Read 7630 times)

Offline Skeeterbait

• Longbeard
  • South Alabama
Re: Macassar Ebony Push Pins
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 08:07:40 PM »
I have to admit I have looked down my nose at push pin calls.  I must say though Shannon over the last few years you have brought respect to the pushpin in my eyes.  Those are awsome looking calls.

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 10:09:46 PM »
 Guys , I want to thank you all for the kind words on my calls

Many of you may have known that I am a unabashed push pin call fanatic all my life , to the point that in order to get the best quality push pin call I resorted to making them myself to the highest standard in sound and quality  - i made them for myself and friends to hunt with and before long people wanted to buy some for hunting -I have just about almost exclusively hunted with push pins on hard hunted public gobblers for nearly 30 years and been darn successful at it too -- Push pin calls are my secret weapon , in the right hands they are incredibly authentic and versatile

Push pins are actually a very old design with roots going back to the Virginia region about 85 years ago , it was promoted successfully by most peoples knowledge by the Jackson/ Chalkleys companies up until the 1980's when push pins became a new found fad by large production turkey call companies and were at that time marketed as a " beginners call" at that point , the reputation of the style of call was degraded to the eyes of the turkey hunting masses as a novice call - it fell victim to a stereotype , there have been several good designs of these calls throughout the years , but for the most part for the large production companies it was a means to round out their product line and keep up with the trends of the times until something else trendy came along

Each call I make takes the better part of a full day to make just 1 call ....plus supplies ( ebony )I get many enquires about the availability and pricing for my calls -- the ones pictured are the standard model without a lid and those I now collect $125 for those , the ones some of you may have seen pictured in other posts with a sliding black Gabon ebony lid I collect $150 for - buyers choice of woods , Gabon black ebony , Mun Ebony , Black and White Ebony ,several types of Cocobolo and the ones pictured ... Macassar ebony ( I only have a limited amount of Macassar)

I have developed my own unique internal components that are crafted and designed to produce the best sound , unique hand layed 2 ply soundboard ( Macassar & rosewood) clamped under 5000 pounds of pressure with a special glue , then the soundboard is hand flexed and shaved , when it's installed into the frame of the call its matched and tuned with striker/pyramid and tuned up several more times during the process --100% made by me from scratch - I use the best quality musical grade hardwoods (just like a piano or violin , ) it produces the most consistent sound -again just about a whole day to crank out 1 call 

I try my best to keep up with orders and can only make a few each year , cause I got to go turkey hunting like the rest of you !

Again thanks for the kind words and support -- Shannon-J-Kelly
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline dirtnap

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 05:38:04 PM »
Nice calls.  That is very unique.