Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

new to bowhunting turkeys... got some questions

Started by Garrett Trentham, March 10, 2011, 09:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrett Trentham

I'm thinking I may try bowhunting for turkeys this year. I'm pretty confident I will get my two NC birds this spring, so I now have a chance to play around a little. We are only allowed to bow hunt on Sundays (rest of the week is wide open for all weaponry). So bowhunting will also open up another hunt day each week. I have bow hunted for deer for the past couple of years with good success. I have a good bow and arrows and skills, etc.

Question one is, I have some 100 gr 1.5 in. cutting diameter Trophy Ridge Meat Seakers. Will these work for body shots or do I need something with a bigger diameter for more impact power? I ususally get complete pass throughs with these on deer.

Second question is, when setting up on a turkey, what do you look for? ie: when I sit down to work a bird with a gun I look for a wide tree that will be comfortable to sit under with an opening in the woods infront of me and thicker cover behind me. What should I look for if I have a bow? Should I sit on my knees behind a tree/ bush or what? I will hunt some from a blind, but I prefer to go after the turkey.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

VAHUNTER

your BH will be fine. shot placement is the most important factor with any BH.

as far as setups. i like to setup over the crest of a ridge across from a bird. with this setup the bird will be in range when he is in view. if he is a vocal bird it will also give you a time to draw before he crest the top.
i also like using blow downs with rootballs when available. the hole that is left from the rootball gets you closer to ground level and will help hide you some. the rootball will also help conceal your outline.
Good things come to those who wait

fallhnt

I would check that Meat Seaker!They take a lot of pressure to open on impact.Try this before you hunt.Take your hunting arrow and put it point down on a table.Push down on the arrow nock with the palm of your hand.If the broadhead don't open use a diffent head for turkeys.I know a Primos Pro Staffer who lost a Osceola using a Meat Seaker.He was SICK !Nothing wrong with the head,it's just not for turkeys.He has always used Hammer Heads for turkeys and just was trying something else. Why not scout and start in a blind at the roost.Save the run and gun stuff for the gun.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Garrett Trentham

Figured that may be a problem. It takes some pressure to open it completely. What do you suggest as a broadhead for taking body shots?

I will hunt some out of a blind, but I think it would be fun to chase them with the bow in the open. Will probably revert back to the blind due to frustration, but I won't know until I try!

Thanks,
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

VAHUNTER

Rage catch a lot of fire from deer hunters.(bone and mass bending the blades) but they should be great on turkey.

Garrett Trentham

I shot rages the first year I bowhunted. They were kindof a PIA. They would always pop open at the slightest wiggle of the arrow. If you were to ever try to stalk up on something, they would be a huge issue. I would rather not go down that road again if it were possible to avoid.

Thanks for the responses,
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

VAHUNTER

Quote from: Garrett Trentham on March 13, 2011, 05:00:42 AM
I shot rages the first year I bowhunted. They were kindof a PIA. They would always pop open at the slightest wiggle of the arrow. If you were to ever try to stalk up on something, they would be a huge issue. I would rather not go down that road again if it were possible to avoid.

Thanks for the responses,
i have always shot fixed blades. i have never even tried mech. blades. just trying to help. with a cut on contact fixed blade you never have to worry about the blade not opening or penatrating. i have always used WASP or MUZZY'S this year i will be trying slick trick magnums

fallhnt

I have used Throphy Ridge Sidewinders for years becouse they have .035 thick blades.I have used other open ups and had a lot of blades break.I use Rage too but they are a ,as it has been said, PAIN.The blades are always open when I remove them from the quiver. I shoot 70# w 27in. draw and will use Grimm Reaper 2in. open ups this year.Big gobblers are tough.Don't buy the B.S. about turning your bow down.A few pokes in the wing butt with low a low kinetic energy set- up will prove the point.Why go through that pain.It take to much time to take a gobbler with a bow.Go at it the rite way and take good advice.You will walk out of the woods much happier.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

maineguide

I don't have any problem with the Rage broad heads with the blades opening. If the blades are hooked in the o-rings they way they should be you will have no problem. I tap my shaft on my hand before I put the arrow on the rest to check and see if they will open. I have had no blades open up that way.

bugslinger719

30_06

2" Grim Reapers work well for body shots, or you could always just try to take their heads off with either the Gobbler Guillotines or Magnus Bullheads.

Set up for a bow is similar to a gun set up, just make sure you can get drawn without being detected..easier said than done.

You know its only private land hunting with a bow on Sundays in NC right?

old3toe

Just curious if anyone has tried the new rage extremes on turkeys?i have killed lots of deer withe rage two blades as well as turkeys..i did have one instance where one blade was knocked open when i was preparing to shoot a strutting bird at 15 yards..i was on the ground not in a blind and am positive the broadhead caught on the foliage in front of me just as i drew on him..it wasn't a pretty sight lol..sparks flew when the arrow hit rocks three feet to the right of the bird and kinda startled us both!! I'm pretty sure that arrow hit sideways!! Anyway just a reminder to always check those blades but most of all check the bands..they will deteriorate quickly when exposed to the elements..and the reason I'm curious about the new extreme rage broadheads is because of the bigger 2.3" cut as well as the new collar that locks the blades in..ill be shooting these myself along with my leftover rages at deer and turkey this year..however keep in mind these heads work better from higher energy bows..another head i like that works well in any bow is the magnus.stinger buzzcut..2 or 4 blades..they are mean broadheads.can be resharpened and have a lifetime warranty..their also a fixed coc head..they shot with my fieldpoints out of my x-force..around 320fps..