turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bowhunting without a blind

Started by PANYHunter, March 10, 2011, 09:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PANYHunter

Just wondering how many of you bowhunt turkeys without using a blind.  I haven't gone out much with my bow but I plan on concentrating more on it this season. I know drawing down on one is tough without using a blind...

VAHUNTER

getting drawn is the toughest part. using terrain will help you . a single bird is always better. the less eyes you have on you the better your chances will be.
i usually try to setup around big timber when possible. you need to plan out your hunt as it unfolds. pay attention to your surroundings. try to pick your spots that you will be able to draw by the route  that you think the bird will be coming. if possible draw when the bird steps behind big trees and other obstacles that hinder his view
Good things come to those who wait

JVA54

Bowhunting turkeys IMO setup can be critical to success, its amazing how thick it can be on the ground when you set down with a bow! When scouting or hunting i am always looking for good places to set. like VAHUNTER  said  open woods are the best, but not always possible  where i hunt.  Drawing on one is not always that  hard just be patience and watch for his head to be hid.  Good Luck this season!!!

John

fallhnt

I don't know the last time I called in just one.Late sping and early fall are good times to go blindless if you don't know where birds are.I know the public ground I hunt in IL. very well and get within a few yards of the roost and set-up in a blind.This lets me have first crack before gun hunters and mushroom hunters spook them off!
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy