turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Weekend Hunts

Started by davisd9, January 22, 2016, 09:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Since we had a long weekend we decided to head home for the weekend. With all the rain one of my father in laws fields had flooded on the edge by some timber. The ducks have been flying in and we have jumped quite a few off of it. He hunted a few times killing some teal, summer ducks, a merganser, and a few others but I had not had the chance. That was going to change this weekend.

Got there before shooting time Saturday but summer ducks were already there. The ducks flew great but they came from every direction so it was hard to anticipate them. Regardless neither I or my father in law shot very well, but I knocked one down but could not find it. Must have got its bearing from the Steel #2s and took back off. My father in law did kill a stud Gadwall Drake with the red on the wing.

Sunday morning we went back before church but with the heavy clouds the birds did not seem to fly well. No where near the shooting but got to sling some steel and I came away with a Gadwall Drake.

I went Monday morning as my father law was not interested in the cold, lol. Really was not that bad and the wind on Sunday seemed colder. It was clear so I got there earlier than we did Saturday but the summer ducks still beat me. Had a pair of big ducks come in and I quickly killed a Gadwall Hen. Then a few minutes later a flock of 5 came in. I shot as they came down but they turned and came toward me, shot again. They continued flying away across the field. About 60-80 yards from me one dive bombs out the sky. It was another Gadwall Drake and a number two hit him under the wing but just took its time to kill him.

It was a fun weekend, best part was hearing turkeys gobbling Saturday and Sunday. Been almost 10 years since I have duck hunted. Think I will go home once or twice more to hit this spot and try to hit one or two of my old summer duck holes.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

OldSchool

Sounds like a good time to me. Congrats! Now I've got a craving for roast duck. ;D I'll have to check, but I think I've still got a goose in the freezer.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

davisd9

My buddy and I had a fun morning. Mostly Greenwing Teal. He killed a nice ringneck as well. I knocked a mallard down but once again it got up and took off. Going to have to load up some HTL 4s for next year. We killed 6 total.

My three teal:

Tomorrow will be our last rodeo!

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

tomstopper

Congrats..... Looks like you had a blast