OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Winchester Long Beard shells!  (Read 6609 times)

Offline Fatbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
Winchester Long Beard shells!
« on: September 21, 2013, 04:41:11 PM »
Very excited about the release of these shells. I loved the Xtended Range and if these are as good or better I will be very pleased. They look very promising. Your thoughts?
East TN Beard Buster

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
Re: Winchester Long Beard shells!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 07:12:15 PM »
Looks promising.

I'd like to see a specific figure g/ccm on the shot.  Also wondering why they are running the same weight shot payload 100 fps slower than in the regular Supreme turkey loads.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Rio Fan

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 10:14:28 PM »
If Winchester is no longer making the Xtended Range shells, does anyone know the reason for this?  Those are my favorite turkey loads.

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 10:46:52 PM »
If Winchester is no longer making the Xtended Range shells, does anyone know the reason for this?  Those are my favorite turkey loads.

They actually quit production of the WXRHD shells in early 2012 when the price of tungsten went from $12.00 to $24.00 per lb. over night. Later in the year it went as high as $98.00 per lb.

The shells that were on dealer shelves and in warehouses for all of 2012 and those currently available, if you can find them, were produced before the price increases.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
Looks promising.

I'd like to see a specific figure g/ccm on the shot.  Also wondering why they are running the same weight shot payload 100 fps slower than in the regular Supreme turkey loads.

As I understand it, it's their regular copper plated lead pellet, 10 gr/cc pellet.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline strutstopper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 03:12:43 PM »
http://m.realtree.com/hunting/realtree-hunting-blogs/turkey-blog/new-winchester-long-beard-xr-turkey-hunting-shotgun-shell

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 09:12:28 PM »
need to price them closer to the turkey thug shells
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline Tail Feathers

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 06:24:43 PM »
If my gun and choke get 40 yard patterns like the one in Hickoff's article, I'll sure be buying some.
http://m.realtree.com/hunting/realtree-hunting-blogs/turkey-blog/new-winchester-long-beard-xr-turkey-hunting-shotgun-shell
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 11:13:10 PM »
It will turkeys all day long at 40 yards , if the shell can make a plain Jane shotgun that has no turkey choke a killer ,they have a successful future with that product ---

However....  The sales pitch talk of 60 yard shots with copper plated lead shot ( this load in particular) is irresponsible to say the least , some ammo companies or the people promoting it remind me of politicians that make promises to get in office
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline Gamblinman

• Double Beard
  • Major Flagelator
    • Georgia Deer Cam
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 05:45:31 AM »
It will turkeys all day long at 40 yards , if the shell can make a plain Jane shotgun that has no turkey choke a killer ,they have a successful future with that product ---

However....  The sales pitch talk of 60 yard shots with copper plated lead shot ( this load in particular) is irresponsible to say the least , some ammo companies or the people promoting it remind me of politicians that make promises to get in office

My thoughts exactly.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Offline danny

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 07:35:05 AM »
I shoot Winchester Supreme...are they still going to make them?...Danny

Offline BowBendr

• Double Beard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 11:40:31 PM »
I'm a little puzzled by this, and a bit disappointed in Winchester.

Turkey hunting isn't about shooting birds at long range, nor is it about calling birds up into your lap and blowing their beak off. It is about calling a turkey to a point, that when you pull the trigger you know without a doubt that the bird will die swiftly and humanely. Period. No fudge factor, no maybe, no 1 or 2 lucky pellets. With your particular set up that may be 25 yds., it may be whatever....... :-X

Uneducated people are going to believe that this shell may replace the ER shells. I understand marketing. I understand them needing to replace the ER shells when raw tungsten got so high in price. But...70 yds.....with lead....?

Isn't this the same company whose reps stood at the convention last year and denied that the ER shells were being discontinued ? Now this ? Now 70 yds and magical solidified buffer that turns back to powder upon set-back from primer and powder ignition. I'm not a physicist, but I have watched enough of the Bing Bang Theory to know that this is pure hooey.

It's gone beyond marketing and turned toward lying and THAT is what hurts the sport and wounds birds.
Off my soap box now...carry on.....

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 10:02:28 AM »
Well I ain't gona try no 70 yard shots, but I'm sure come bout March I'll buy a box, tack up a feed sack, and pop a cap at it from 40 yards.

Then we'll know for sure what's going on.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline 3" 870 Shell Shucker

• Double Beard
  • I want lots of even coverage.
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 01:43:58 PM »
If it patterns great at 40 Yards, and you test pattern it at 50 Yards with good results, won't it help you sleep better at night knowing that if you mess up and underestimate the yardage, you've still got him covered?

However, I agree that 70 Yards with Lead 6's is just stupid.  That disappoints me.  It will encourage crazy shots by people who didn't put the patterns on paper first.  Not to mention that 6's don't have the energy at 70 Yards.  Now Lead 5's DO have the energy, but can you put a good enough pattern on a small target at 70 Yards?  A "Dropping Pattern" by the way, so you would have to hold over about a foot high, or else sight in at that distance with a scope.  This tries to turn Turkey Hunting into Deer Hunting.

Offline brianf

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 02:28:40 PM »
Quote from:  It will encourage crazy shots by people who didn't put the patterns on paper first.  Not to mention that 6's don't have the energy at 70 Yards. [/quote

But those "people" will try that shot anyway, without the bogus marketing claims on these shells. I hope the shell are true killers but 70 yards  :wave:
“The fifth sense is "common sense"- either you have it or you don't.”