Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

would you be happy with this 835 pattern?

Started by SgtUSMC, August 05, 2013, 06:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SgtUSMC

I got a new to me 20 inch barreled 835 last week with a Pure Gold 670 choke.  Did some patterning over the weekend.  Shot a bunch of lead loads and none were anything to write home about.   

This is the pattern with the shell I plan on using this year.

3 1/2 Hevi 6 with only 1 3/4 oz of shot.   Picked them up really cheap.   Supposedly there should be around 366 pellets in the shell if I read the chart right.

40 yards, the circle drawn is 9 inches with 185,  202 in the 10, 142 in the 20 making 344 in the 20 inch circle.

I was thinking about if I should keep this choke or go with a Sumtoy.  I'm sure the numbers still be better shooting 7s or the 2 1/4 oz 6s I have.   So,  what would you do?

chatterbox

Personally, I would keep that combo and hunt with it!
That will kill a gobbler everyday, and twice on Sundays! :icon_thumright:

BowBendr

Yep. I'd hunt with that combo in a heartbeat !  :icon_thumright:

vt35mag

Over 200 hits with 1-3/4oz #6, I would say you are done.  I can only squeeze 180 out of my stardot with 2-1/4oz #6's.

WildSpur

Thats excellent. Thats a light load throwing good numbers.  It seems that most of the impressive patterns anymore are from 2oz+ loads and small #7 shot.  I had a similar set up and would average 200 with 3.5 mag blends--1/2 more shot.  So I think thats a keeper.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

SgtUSMC

Thanks for the replies guys.   I think I'm gonna keep the choke.  I feel bad cause I told myself I'd only buy Sumtoy from now on after the way he took care of me and got my 20 gauge shooting.   But its gonna be hard to justify spending money if this is shooting good. 

surehuntsalot

not gonna get much better than that
I would look no further
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

ILIKEHEVI-13

remmy1187

That would be a keeper for sure, awesome pattern with that load.

ericjames

That will hunt for sure..I think I am gonna try my.670 PG and the stardot in my 20" 835..

SgtUSMC

I ended up selling the choke.   went with a Sumtoy so I could shoot everything including Flight Control shells.   The Sumtoy put up very similar numbers with the Hevi.  But shot really good with lead where the Pure Gold slacked.

tomstopper

Very Nice. That should get the job done for sure....

ericjames

SgtUSMC

Sorry no I didn't take any pictures of the lead pattern.