OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Day one, 15 minutes after shutting off Scott Ellis's DVD, PA Public land tom  (Read 4851 times)

Offline bowmike

http://youtu.be/3WcsqGLHtIQ  --- for the first few seconds he gobbles at every one of my cuts. Tough to hear again, youtube does not capture sound the best.

Gobbles are at (0:02, 0:04, 0:07, 0:38, 1:14, 1:20 ,2:16, and 2:47

I just picked up Scott Ellis's Mouth Call Magic DVD. I woke up today at about 4:15 to watch it. I really wanted to try and see if I had learned anything but obviously couldn't bust out a mouth call at 4:45 in the morning with an already turkey'd out wife, and sleeping 11 month old so up the mountain I went.

I hit a tram road and decided to do a little tree calling. I wanted to focus on just what the dvd had instructed. I was instantly rewarded with a gobble. I could tell that I had improved on my front end yelp from my previous calling. (although it definetly needs some work) I could tell he was on the roost so I moved up a bit. I got to a point where I thought I was about 70 yards from his tree. I did a few "bubble clucks" that i had just found out about, and did a fly down cackle. He hammered again and flew out to the field.

I moved my way to the field, and in the video you can see the pines just in front of me. He was hung up right there due to a ditch. I did close the distance, but my phone was dead. Just after this video I snuck up to the pines and boy did I get a show for about 5 minutes. He did not seeme and , man was he strutting, and gobbling, at about 15 yards!!!! I did try to sneak out and around to get a better view, but he took off. He will be a hammer next year. I just cant kick this turkey stuff!

I can tell that I need to work on my yelping rythm as in points I can see it is a bit too fast and a bit too raspy. My cutting is decent, but still needs a bit of work. I had been trying to hear these birds for a while now. But I can say this though, from turning off his DVD to getting on this bird was all of about 15 minutes, thats some results I can deal with.

Here is the other video from I believe May 23rd. It is tough to hear the bird in it but you can tell my calling got a bit better. Ill keep at it.

http://youtu.be/MCrR4ZxKljw

Thanks for checking this out. Let me know what you think of my calling. Like I said, trying to get better.

Offline scott ellis

• Scott Ellis-Elite Turkey Hunting and Calling
This is great stuff Mike! Glad it helped you!!

scott