OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

give me some starting points.

Started by 200racing, March 09, 2011, 04:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

200racing

im jumping into turkey hunting this year. i was going to go the blind and bow road since i didnt have a shotgun with interchangable chokes....... but then.........
:z-guntootsmiley:  my mom won a shotgun at a wildgame supper last night  :z-guntootsmiley: just in time for turkey season.

its a weatherby pa-08 with a 28" barrel and 3" chamber.

it comes with a full choke do i need to get a extrafull?
my state shot law is 2 shot or smaller so what should i look at for ammo?
this is all new to me so any advice would be great.
weatherby pa-08.undertaker choke.tru-glo tru bead.
win. hv #5 3in
rem. premeir mag. #6 3in

turkeys aren't hard to kill....they're hard to kill legally.

knightrider

ive never shot the gun your speaking of but i would have to say an ic or jelly head choke with some hevi 6 or 7 :anim_25:

Quax

That's a great gun, especially for the price. We've got the black synthetic with the 26" barrel. Haven't experimented too much with it, but I picked up a Carlson .660 for $15 total off gunbroker. With federal heavyweight #7s I got 160 in the 10 at 40yds. That's enuff for me with this load. Very evenly dispursed pattern and POA and POI very close.

Basser69

Quote from: knightrider on March 09, 2011, 04:27:11 PM
ive never shot the gun your speaking of but i would have to say an ic or jelly head choke with some hevi 6 or 7 :anim_25:

:agreed:

200racing

slight typo in original post it a pa-08 pump.
weatherby pa-08.undertaker choke.tru-glo tru bead.
win. hv #5 3in
rem. premeir mag. #6 3in

turkeys aren't hard to kill....they're hard to kill legally.

bowhunter84

Quote from: knightrider on March 09, 2011, 04:27:11 PM
:agreed:

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 200racing on March 09, 2011, 04:18:29 PM
im jumping into turkey hunting this year. i was going to go the blind and bow road since i didnt have a shotgun with interchangable chokes....... but then.........
:z-guntootsmiley:  my mom won a shotgun at a wildgame supper last night  :z-guntootsmiley: just in time for turkey season.

its a weatherby pa-08 with a 28" barrel and 3" chamber.

it comes with a full choke do i need to get a extrafull?
my state shot law is 2 shot or smaller so what should i look at for ammo?
this is all new to me so any advice would be great.

Congratulations. That's a very nice gun and with the 28" barrel should work very well for you for turkeys, waterfowl, upland birds and also for all of the "clays" games.

I'd "deep clean" the bore and the trigger group prior to shooting. It will help a lot. You have a wide choice of turkey chokes. The Weatherby shotguns are not the most common guns in the turkey woods but over the years I've sold a number of turkey chokes to shooters of them and have had positive feedback after patterning and the season.

There is really only one shell that I'd recommend for you with that gun and that's the 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shell with 2 oz. of #6 shot. It just works!

Again, congratulations and all my best for the turkey season.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Reloader

I feel all new turkey hunters should start with a fairly open pattern compared to what us turkey nuts use. Once Gobbler Fever sets in, you need all the help you can get. You need to become very familiar with your gun and it's limitations.

An inexpensive approach for a new turkey hunter:

1) Buy a roll of large paper.  You can buy 35" wide x 140' long rolls of contractors paper at home depot, lowes, or Ace for 10-12 $/roll.
2) Buy some 3" turkey loads, I would suggest Winchester lead #6 in 1-3/4. 1-7/8, or 2oz.
3) A factory flush full will work if one came with the gun, if not an inexpensive turkey choke such as the Primos Tite Wad, HS Undertaker, or Tru Glo Gobble Stopper will do just fine.
4) Draw a dot in the center of a large piece of paper and place it at 35yds
5) Use a steady rest and take a shot.  Turkey loads have brutal recoil, so a folded up towel comes in handy.
6) See where the impact is in relation to your point of aim. If your impact is not true to the factory bead, you can buy adjustable fiber optic sights on line or at many sporting goods stores.
7) Draw a 10" circle around the most dense portion of your pattern.  You need at least 80-100 evenly dispersed hits in this circle to ensure multiple hits to the CNS of a turkey.
8} If you are well above 80-100 hits, drop back to 40 and try again.
9) Find the range at which you fall to 80-100 hits consistently shot after shot and burn that range into your memory as the longest shot to attempt at a turkey.

One of the worst things a new turkey hunter can do is set up his/her rig for ultra tight long range patterns.  It takes a while to learn to control your nerves in an intense turkey hunting situation and the last thing you want is a pattern the size of a grapefruit when a tom is at 20yds.  You wouldn't think it to be true now days, but the fact is that many a longbeard have become dinner after being killed with plain jane lead ammo out of nothing more than a flush full choke.

As far as hunting skills and calling, that's a whole different subject.  Put up a post in the general forum and we'll all jump in to help.

Good Luck

Reloader

shootumindaface

Quote from: Reloader on March 09, 2011, 06:41:24 PM
I feel all new turkey hunters should start with a fairly open pattern compared to what us turkey nuts use. Once Gobbler Fever sets in, you need all the help you can get. You need to become very familiar with your gun and it's limitations.

An inexpensive approach for a new turkey hunter:

1) Buy a roll of large paper.  You can buy 35" wide x 140' long rolls of contractors paper at home depot, lowes, or Ace for 10-12 $/roll.
2) Buy some 3" turkey loads, I would suggest Winchester lead #6 in 1-3/4. 1-7/8, or 2oz.
3) A factory flush full will work if one came with the gun, if not an inexpensive turkey choke such as the Primos Tite Wad, HS Undertaker, or Tru Glo Gobble Stopper will do just fine.
4) Draw a dot in the center of a large piece of paper and place it at 35yds
5) Use a steady rest and take a shot.  Turkey loads have brutal recoil, so a folded up towel comes in handy.
6) See where the impact is in relation to your point of aim. If your impact is not true to the factory bead, you can buy adjustable fiber optic sights on line or at many sporting goods stores.
7) Draw a 10" circle around the most dense portion of your pattern.  You need at least 80-100 evenly dispersed hits in this circle to ensure multiple hits to the CNS of a turkey.
8} If you are well above 80-100 hits, drop back to 40 and try again.
9) Find the range at which you fall to 80-100 hits consistently shot after shot and burn that range into your memory as the longest shot to attempt at a turkey.

One of the worst things a new turkey hunter can do is set up his/her rig for ultra tight long range patterns.  It takes a while to learn to control your nerves in an intense turkey hunting situation and the last thing you want is a pattern the size of a grapefruit when a tom is at 20yds.  You wouldn't think it to be true now days, but the fact is that many a longbeard have become dinner after being killed with plain jane lead ammo out of nothing more than a flush full choke.

As far as hunting skills and calling, that's a whole different subject.  Put up a post in the general forum and we'll all jump in to help.

Good Luck

Reloader
I was going to post something similar.. Very nice post.. We are the extreme of what is truly needed