OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What load?

Started by Trevor2, March 09, 2011, 02:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor2

I'm shooting my 870 magnum special purpose, with a hastings .650 choke and i just shot a win supreme number 5 3" through it and a nitro 5 3" and I cant tell a difference in the two and neither one are too good. I got 120 pellets in a 10" circle at 30 yards. Should I shoot a number 6 or what? Any advice greatly appreciated.
Strutstopper

SKFOOTER

That choke is too tight.  Get yourself a Jellyhead .665 if you want to continue shooting those loads or a Jellyhead .660 if you want to try the Hevi-Shot 7's.

Trevor2

Thanks guys I'm gonna try number 6 or maybe the 7 hevi if i can find em lol but its not blowing the pattern, or not what i consider at least, it wasnt broadcasted across the cardboard showboard just hung close to the ten inch circle. I thought it would be more spread out than that, if it was blowing the pattern, am I wrong in this?
Strutstopper

R AJ

Try the number 6s in the Win HV 3-1 3/4-#6 lead . A fellow by the name of Night Hawk (Steve Conover ) seemed to do pretty well with that choke diameter ,.650, a few years ago. Then along came H-13.

Trevor2

Im gonna try the win supreme #6 first, I have heard nothin but good things from the hevi # 6 and #7 but man they sure are high, if I cant get that to work ill buy the jelly head .665
Strutstopper

Trevor2

Thanks for the clarification slickyboyboo
Strutstopper

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

VAHUNTER

yea i would go with a .665 or a .670 and move up to #6's
Good things come to those who wait

S.C.C

Shoot the WIN.SUP. HV 1 3/4oz #6 or the WIN.SUP. XX 2oz #6 with the choke you have and I believe
you will be satisfied out to 40 yards with your Hastings choke and lead shot!! :icon_thumright:
I personally like the HV's better and believe they kill better at 40yards!!