OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Big Lake Glass in Yellow Heart Pot Call  (Read 4318 times)

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Big Lake Glass in Yellow Heart Pot Call
« on: June 03, 2013, 08:17:04 AM »
Anytime I find a call that impresses me I like to share it with others.  Right before the season began here in SC I was in the town where I grew up for my wife and I to see our parents.  I was told there was a good deal going on shotgun shells at a local store so I drove into town to see what the fuss was about.  Unfortunately the shells were out of stock but there was a call maker set up in the front of the store showing off his duck and turkey calls.  The name of the company was Big Lake Duck Calls.  They are a local SC company and have made duck calls for a while but just in the last few years got into the turkey call business. 

When I walked up to the table I noticed there was a few mouth calls, a glass, and a slate call.  I picked up the glass call to see how it sounded.  I guess Mr. McLaurin had to show people all day how to use the call because when I first picked it up he started to explain how to use it. Well I just went on and started working the call.  A lot of calls sound good but not all calls impress me and this was a call that impressed me, inside of a building anyway.  After I went through a series and he stated, "I bet you have called in a gobbler or two in your life huh?"  I kind of chuckled and said I have killed one or two in my life. 

The call sounded really good and like I said I was impressed.  I wanted to buy one but I had just bought the Buice Trumpet so I said I will get one before next season.  Well last Wednesday I saw where a local store where I live was having a sale on there left over turkey calls, 50% off.  Well I had to see what they had left.  :D  As I was walking around the display something caught my eye, the Big Lake Glass in Yellow Heart with Monkey wood striker, SCORE!  Well I picked it up and for getting it at half off it was a steal.  It can be played really soft or you can make it scream.  Very satisfied with the call. I even sent this sound file to my mentor and he said it sounded good, but gave me a tip or two on my purrs, he knows what he is talking about so I will listen to his advice. Thanks for listening to me talk a bit, this type of thing helps with my withdrawls.  :D

“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
Re: Big Lake Glass in Yellow Heart Pot Call
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 01:35:17 PM »
Sounds like a turkey to me!  Congrats on a great sounding call at an even better price.

Offline turkeykiller22

• Grounded Brand
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 09:43:33 AM »
Thats awesome!! I love getting calls 50% off!! Sounds like a good one to me!! Congrats buddy, hope you kill some birds with it last year!

Offline SCGobbler

• Ya can't fix stupid!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 03:23:45 PM »
I like that call!
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge