turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I need help! Ithaca or browning?

Started by Borden811, May 15, 2013, 05:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borden811

So, I've been kind of looking for a ten gauge. I've found two recently. Here's my dilemma, that I need you to help me with.
The first is an ithica mag-10 with a 22 inch barrel. The barrel has been cut and threaded for chokes, and has one choke, a "max turkey". The ower isn't sure what the thread style is, so I may not be able to get other chokes easily. The gun also has steel rifle sights on it. Non removable.

Option two is a browning bps invector, special steel model. 24 inch barrel. It's plain Jane, but I would be able to find chokes for it easier, ad put tru glo sight, etc on it.

Now, take into account I can get either one somewhere around 400-500 dollars. Which one shoud I get? I need to decide rather quickly. Thanks for the help fellas!

WildTigerTrout

No question in my mind I would choose the Browning BPS. As you said chokes are readily available and the BPS is still in production if you should have a problem or maybe need a replacement part. I own a BPS "Stalker" 24". I bought mine new in 2001. It was a limited run by Browning called the "Turkey Special". The gun came with factory installed Hi-Viz FO sights,sling swivel studs and with Browning's factory X-Full Turkey choke tube.They discontinued the limited run after a year or two when the camo and NWTF camo models came on the market. Another friend of mine has a 24" "Stalker" that he bought in the mid 1980's. Neither gun has ever given us a problem of any kind. The BPS is tough,rugged and reliable. All that anyone could ask for in a turkey specific shotgun.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

jerf

I would go for the browning. Easier to find parts.

Rockhound

Mike Honcho

I would choose the BPS...same reasons as other folks mentioned.  I would say parts are probably getting hard to find for the Ithaca mag 10.  They have a following and many guys like them but the design did have some flaws that Remington addressed when they bought the rights and made it the SP 10.

And yes I own a 24" barrel , camo BPS 10 gauge!  I bought mine as a new 28" , found a like new 24" barrel in matching camo , then sold my 28" barrel to a goose hunter in IL.   I have the Tru Glo Pro Magnum Series Gobble Stopper adjustable iron sights (the kind that attach with allen screws to rib). and a Jellyhead choke on mine.

Old Gobbler

I would ( personally ) interested in the mag10 if you don't take it - if you have a picture of the choke that would be interesting

Ithaca did make towards the end , some threaded choke Mag10's one example was a 28 inch barrel and the chokes had a gold type coloring to them

Not many people would be able to retread -choke a Mag10 , Basner in Pa.  is one of the few if any - its possible he did the work on that Ithaca
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

BIGBOB

I have A ITHACA MAG 10  that rhino put tubes in that is the best patterning turkey gun i have ever seen. That being said i would buy the bps because if something breaks you may never find a replacement part. If my brother had not got someone in a factory machine shop to repair a part on mine i would never to been able to hunt with it anymore..