OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: last few days  (Read 1206 times)

Offline MEbeardlover

last few days
« on: May 28, 2013, 01:40:42 PM »
OK, guys, Maine season closes Saturday, June 1 at noon. Got at least one more partial day and then the full time Saturday. Filled one tag already, and looking for #2.

So, your thoughts about late season strategies? Very interested in what some of you veterans have to say!

Offline Jay Longhauser

Re: last few days
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 02:35:23 PM »
I would try to find a gobbler, expecting he may gobble less than earlier in the season.  You still have to read the bird and see what he's doing, but I usually start of with softer calling, less volume and more clucks and somewhat avoid loud long yelping.  I feel like it helps feel a bird out without the chance of bothering one that has been hunted and pressured a lot.  I also try to use heavier cover to get close enough to see him if possible before setting up to call.

Good luck! 

Offline El Pavo Grande

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: last few days
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 01:15:15 AM »
Typically, I don't hunt much different than I would at the beginning of season.  Let the turkeys dictate what you do.  Adjust your approach according to how they are responding.