Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

10 beards and the hardware to boot!?!?! Unreal

Started by derek, May 18, 2013, 03:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derek

Yesterday morning, I got off work slightly after 7:30am.. I was meeting my father who's been tagged out in MD for a bit and we were off to the turkey woods.. Walking away from the truck at about 8:20 with nothing gobbling at first.  Heard a distant bird and slowly picked in that direction which ended up being right through some THICK stuff.  Took a while to work through that, but when we finally got out to the other side I yelped and and bird cuts me off hard 3-4 notes in.. probably only 80 yards out.   I pick a close tree, take 4 steps when suddenly a nested hen flushes all but right under my foot behind me, flies out directly between my father and I and crashes out through the tree limbs... GREAT.. that's not good.  We set up, wait a little and I yelp again.. he gobbles and he's father out.. Tried to get him worked up, but he just wasn't going to get too hot, but I wasn't giving up on him despite him being a little spooked over the hen.. just need some time.  He'd pace back and forth, working a pattern in more open woods out in front of us.  After a bit of going quiet on him, he gobbles a bit farther out.. this is my window.  We hop up and move 60 yards to the edge of the pattern he'd been working. 

From the new location, he started to get more responsive.  Another bird gobbled a few times WAY out there and I hoped that would quicken his pace.  I could tell he was hung up in another clearing in these woods (still pretty thick where I was).. finally, I see him move through a lane I had, maybe 30 yards out.. I didn't shoot and instantly regretted it when he moves behind some trees/brush and seems to vanish for a little too long.  I give a three note yelp and he hammers it, ok he's still right there.  Now he steps out into my next window.. this time I shoot and 24 yards away at 9:55, he meets a load of hevi 6s. 

I get up to the bird and instantly focus my eyes on his spurs.. I know they're nice but he's kicking and I've learned my lesson there before.  I can tell he's got another beard.  Dad comes over and lifts his feet up in excitement over his hooks, now I can see at least 3 but he's still flopping so he puts him down and lets him expire.. finally roll him over and start counting.. breathing became difficult at 6 and still had some to go.. 10.. 10... are you kidding me?! 10 beards!!! Words just couldn't explain the excitment that went along with being there next to the biggest spurred bird I've ever seen, plus counting 10 beards on his chest. 

Now, since I've been serious into turkey hunting, the holy grayl of birds has been the elusive 1 1/2"er.. It's my white whale.. I've been close, but haven't crossed that line yet.. This was him with 1 5/8" on each leg.. Incredible bird.  The beard lengths dropped off quickly, starting at 10 1/8", 3 9/16", 2 1/16", 1 7/8", 4 5/8", 4 3/8", 3 9/16", 9/16", 1 1/4" and 3/4".  His breast feathers were bald and as evidence to his efforts this spring had shed some lbs on the John Holmes exercise program, was a mere 16lbs 12oz. 

This spring had been nothing short of incredible prior to this bird, and I am extremely thankful to the turkey gods. 

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

MDbowman

Thanks again for letting me tag along!   Huge congrats!

DMP

Dang it man.  Your hunting grounds must be flooded with multi beards.  Awesome hunt and Awesome bird.  Congrats....

ltprod

Awesome and what are the gps numbers i need enter to get there
Lol
Awesome
Congrats!!!

bawana

whitelightning

Hate to disappoint you guys but I hunt a lot of the same areas and no multis for me lol. Although the place of this bird I can not hunt. It must be the beard thing...maybe I'll just have to grow mine out and copy you Sasquatch. Congrats again on the awesome bird!

canadatom

WV Ridge Reaper

BowBendr

....."The John Holmes exercise program"......  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Seriously, do you hunt on a nuclear military installation or somethin' ?
Awesome bird and an awesome season as usual Derek. Way to go killer !  :icon_thumright: