Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Got us a good upgrade(pics added)

Started by canadatom, May 18, 2013, 02:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadatom

Got back out this morning finally, condensed version, spot and stalk on a bird that a coyote spooked on me last sunday, got to 30 yds and laid the proverbial smack down on him. 24 lbs 2 oz, 10 7/8" beard and 1 3/8 and 1 7/16 spurs. Will get pics and full story posted later today.

Started out day hunting different spot, had 8 birds cross field but were too far away to get too excited, moved to west and set up there for hour or so with no luck, on way back to my jeep I ran into 4 jakes at about 50 yds, too far for a shot. While driving home I couldn't help but think of big boy who I had coming in previous sunday at another one of our spots. He was roosted 40 yds behind me, flew down and was heading straight to my decoy with his two hens, all of a sudden all hell broke loose and all I saw was a flash of grey and turkeys going every direction, needless to say that hunt was over, coyote that I missed the week before got even with me I guess.

I decided to go do a drive by to see if he was still hanging around his field, my dad who was with me said  I was a sucker for punishment by doing this. As we came down road to field there he was strutting in back of field for his one lady he had with him today. Decision was made to sneak through small woodlot and down treeline and hope that he was still in field when we got down to back end. After slowly making way to back of field I spotted him about 45 yds away strutting for his hen, had to wait for what seemed like forever for him to turn away so I could make move to close last few yards for a clear shot. When he did I made my move and he never knew what hit him. 35 yards was as close as I could get but it was more than enough. He is my biggest bird to date and my first spot and stalk bird also. Feels good after having coyote get better of me week before to get same bird and have him be calibre of bird he was. Now the long wait till next spring begins.

derek

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

MDbowman

Wow, that is a great bird!  Way to get it done.

DMP

Very nice.  Can't wait to hear the story and see the pics.... :drool:

BowBendr

Awesome bird Shawn ! Congrats on a killer season !  :icon_thumright: