turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

fed. heavy's 2.75" vs. 3"???

Started by IowaGobblers, May 17, 2013, 12:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IowaGobblers

Finally found some heavyweight #7's but they are 2 3/4 in. 1.1 oz. compared to the 3 in. 1.5 oz that I was planning on shooting.  Will there be any major diferences or a big gap between the # hits?

Rapscallion Vermilion

All else being equal, you'll have to reduce your maximum range by about 1/7 or 1/8 to compensate for the lower total shot count.

vaturkey

I would stay with the 3" shells !   :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

mightyjoeyoung

Well, look at it this way...  You're loosing about 100 pellets =/- from going from the 1.5 ounce load tro the 1.1 ounce load.  Thats over 30% fewer pellets in the pattern.  You would have to knock off roughly 1-12 yards from your current max range if all things were perfectly equal...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

R AJ

It is actually 1 1/8 oz. of shot and that is more than what is in #6s in 1 1/4 oz( H-13 3") and almost as many as the 1 .5 oz. of #6 shot in 3" fed HW.

Fed HW 3" 1.5 oz #6 shot= 247 pellets ( 3" #7 shot= 328 pellets or 82 more than 2 3/4")
Fed HW 2 3/4-1.125oz. #7 shot = 246 pellets

If the pattern is there then the extra shot becomes mute as far as hunting needs.

IowaGobblers

Thanks for the info!  I had this question due to the inability to find fed. 3" heavyweight #7's so I was looking for alternatives. Thankfully I finally found some 3" #7's.  :thanks:

buckeyejim

mightyjoeyoung

Fed. HW's       6's:  1.12 ounce-184 pellets.        7's:  1.12 ounce-245 pellets.
                               1.25 ounce-204 pellets.                1.25 ounce-272 pellets.
                               1.50 ounce-245 pellets.                1.50 ounce-326 pellets.

Hevi Shot         6's: 1.25 ounce-239 pellets.        7's:  1.25 ounce-318 pellets.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

gophert

The 2 3/4 shells will bust a turkey but I would not shoot it past 30 yards.  None of my chokes would get an adequate pellet count out to 40. This is the load my daughter killed her first bird with.  It hits hard and has low recoil.

sent from Tim's Tweaked Out Evo LTE