turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

what do yall think of these patterns

Started by wlf89, January 18, 2014, 06:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlf89

these are all out of my winchester 1300 with a kicks gt .640 all 3' #5s all at 30 yrds and 40 degree
first pic is remington nitro 131 hits in a 9.5 in circle. 

wlf89

this is the winchester super x turkey shell 186 hits

wlf89

and this one is the winchester double x magnum turkey load.

wlf89

looks like they all hit left and little high from my poa need to make a slight sight adj i think.

wlf89

come on guys im new to all of this and will only be my 2nd yr hunting, killed 2 last yr with the super x. i dont know if these numbers are good or should i be looking for something else. when it warms up i will shoot it some more and at some different yardages.

chatterbox

Is that Winchester a 30 yard pattern? It is a great pattern, but you need to see what your gun will do at 40. Lead patterns really fall off from 30-40 yards, so that's why we pattern our guns at 40.
I think that I would not use those Rem nitros. The pattern is really not very good. Low numbers, and a very spotty pattern. That shell for lack of a better word, sucks.
I would stick with the Winchesters, wait for the weather to warm a little, and see what she will throw at 40.
Good luck!

owlhoot

Any turkey at 30 yards is smoked with what you have. :icon_thumright:

As already said try some 40 yards shots to tell you which one for comparison.
Most on here use that 40 yards to judge a pattern and give recommendations.
Welcome to turkey hunting. Looks like your off to a good start.
Good luck this spring.

Twowithone

3 in the head hes dead. Agree stick with the Winchester shells heck if you can afford them try the new shells from Winchester the long beards. My 1300 always liked Winchester ammo #6 shot with a gobbling thunder choke from Kicks .665. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

ericjames

Those winchesters look good at 30, but a others above have started the lead is going to fall off big between 30-40. The temp warming up will also help you out. But have you cleaned your barrel? That is the biggest thing that will help your pattern, you can do a search on this forum on deep cleaning the bore and it should tell you everything you need to know. It's a sticky I believe.

Good luck,

fsu33952

If you put it right on his neck he is through dealing with any of those. Find out what shoots best ànd stick with it. Second guessing your gun will make you cra?y. My dad hand loaded shells in the 60's and 70's and none shot as good as those and he killed truckloads of turkeys. Spend your energy staying stone still in the woods and ?earning how to call them up to 25 yards and you will be much happier. Over a hundred pellets in a 10 inch circle is good enough for me at 40 yards. If you don't kill him it's cause you missed.

wlf89

thanks for the replys guys im goin to wait untill it warms up to shoot anymore, probly give the barrel a good cleaning and stick with the super x's, but i do want to try the longbeards when i can find some.

the Ward

Those Winchester patterns look good. Remington's? not so much.If your not planning to shoot farther than 30/35yrds you should be good after adjusting your poi.As the other posts point out,the pattern can and will change between 30 and 40 yrds.Always good to try a few at 40 to see what you got in case you misjudge yardage in the field. Good luck and....... :wagon:

JuniorPre 360

Quote from: chatterbox on January 19, 2014, 08:35:24 AM
Lead patterns really fall off from 30-40 yards, so that's why we pattern our guns at 40.
This is true! This will be my first year going after turkeys. I patterned my gun with the Double X's. At 30, I had I think around 160 inside of a 10 inch circle. To me, that was a great tight pattern. But then at 40 yards, the count dropped to about half.