turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Devotion Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Started by Duke0002, February 07, 2011, 11:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke0002

"There was given me a thorn in my flesh" (2 Cor. 12:7).

St. Paul had a painful affliction he likened to a "thorn in my flesh."  Whether it was a physical ailment or some other problem, we don't know.  However, Paul plainly could not ignore it. 

He did, however, know the purpose of it:  "To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassing great revelations." The "thorn" kept him humble, preventing him from thinking he was more important than others because of his superior knowledge and relationship with God.

Three times Paul prayed his difficulty would be removed.  God countered each time, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness" (v. 9).  Together with the "thorn," God gave Paul a sufficient measure of love and mercy to bear it.

You and I are not exempt from our thorns in the flesh.  We don't need to ask in times of trouble or illness, "Why should this happen to me?"  These blessed thorns keep us humble and drive us closer to God, who alone can relieve us.  And in Jesus, we know He does and will.

Jesus knew thorns.  He bore a crown of them.  We bear our thorns in His strength, which bore thorns for us.  He endured the real pain and suffering of our sin.  He died and then rose from the grave to give us the crown of glory!

Sometimes you get real bad thorns, but Jesus keeps you faithful.  In the end He will exchange your thorns for a crown of  glory!

-Dale

Roostem33

Great Devotional Dale!! Thanks so much!
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

keyser12ga

BOFF

Thanks for the devotional!!

God Bless,
David B.

turkey slayer

Executioner

"Confidence in your God given abilities adds more turkeys to your daily limit" Mike Miller "The Turkey Killer" Take delight in the LORD, and He will give you your hearts desires. Psalm 37:4