OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Yildiz .410 single-shot vs. Savage 220B .410 shoot-out, sorta.

Started by gobblergls, May 11, 2013, 06:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblergls

I purchased a second Yildiz .410 and took delivery of a Savage 220B .410 this weekend.  I had an opportunity to shoot each at 40 yards this morning with TSS 9's, 13/16 oz.  While one shot is not a statistical certainty, it gave me a good idea of what lies in store for both down the road.   My first Yildiz .410 has a 4 shot average of 101 inside the 10" ring with a high of 110 and a low of 88.  I was expecting the same from the newer Yildiz.
  I weighed each new gun.  Not surprising, Yildiz #2 weighed in at 3 lbs, 3.1 oz. with its 28" factory full barrel and alloy receiver.   A mere wisp of gun, but proven deadly in the field this past season with my first Yildiz.  For a gun costing $139 with sales tax included, the Yildiz also has remarkably nice walnut with hand cut checkering.  I was in Athens, Ga., yesterday for daughter's graduation and I bought myself a graduation present at Academy Sports.  As for the Savage, the wood was plain, no checkering.  Surprisingly, it weighed a whopping 5 lbs., 13 oz. with its 26" barrel. My 20 gauge 220A weighs a flat 5 lbs.  After studying the gun, the weight is a factor of the gun being built on a larger gauge's gun frame and an overbuilt barrel.  In order to center the firing pin in the firing chamber, the wall thickness of the chamber is a stout .365" compared with the Yildiz's .18". The Yildiz shot a disappointing 74 in the 10" ring and 78 in the 10-20" ring.  This is low-borderline in my estimation for a 40 yard turkey gun.  A trip to Mr. Lambert at Sumtoy is probably in order for a sleeved choke.   The Savage with its 26" full did a respectable 110/106.  I'll leave it as is and mount a red dot.  With a full bead showing above the receiver's slotted sight, it shot a foot high at 20 yards.    I had to aim at the bottom of the paper to pattern it a 40 yards.  A red dot is in order for it.
Despite the lower 10" ring numbers, I think the design, wood quality, and uber-lightness of the Yildiz wins in the cool factor category.  I carried Yildiz #1 most of this past season, and tricked-out with red dot and sling, it's 3 lbs., 9 oz. was a pleasure to carry.   I think William can improve the numbers on Yildiz #2.  Stay tuned.

huntindawg

Gil, just curious, did you ever have the Yildiz sleeved by Sumtoy?  If so, did it improve its performance?

gobblergls

huntindawg

10-4 very interested in the results, keep us updated please sir.

gobblergls

Sumtoy to the rescue.  William called last week for me to come test fire the gun.  I showed up Saturday to test fire.  It was no improvement on the factory full. Hmmmmn.  He then opened it up.  Nope. 
Next, he shortened the overall length of the choke.  Nope.  A light bulb went off in his head.  " I need to start over. I see the issue. Leave the gun and I'll do it Monday.". I drove over this afternoon.  At 41 yards, 110 in the 10".  A vast improvement over the 74 before his work. Yildiz #2 looks like a 40 yard gun to me.  I was happy with it and didn't see the need for further tinkering.  Thanks, again, William.