OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What a season

Started by Hawk76, May 10, 2013, 01:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk76

Started hunting some state land this year and really put some time and effort into scouting and mapping.  Located some birds and had a good feel for the section I was hunting.  Opening day comes an I quietly tiptoed into area that showed the most promise.  Let out a couple of clucks and got three gobbles about 150 yards away.  I waited a couple of minutes and gave a couple yelps.  A gobbler responded so loud it scared me.  I'm standing in the field edge and this bird is coming quickly.  No time for decoys and I find a tree to sit next to.  Within a minute I hear him spit n' drumm but can't see him.  Finally the white head appears about 40 yards out.  I take the safety off get head down on the gun line up the crosshairs and start putting pressure on the trigger.  At that moment, my facemask slides down and is covering my eyes.  I took my right hand and slid my mask up into place.  The bird obviously saw it and ran for the hills.  He was a half second away from dead.
On the last day, called in a large Tom and he presented me with about a 55 yard WIDE open shot down a logging road.  When I shot, the only (and I mean only) sapling got cut right in half about 12 feet in front of me.  Lets just say I didn't get that bird.  What a great year :mycross:

DirtNap647

its called turkey hunting gotta love it...just a pleasure to do it

turkeyfeathers

:funnyturkey: If it was easy I wouldn't do it!

tomstopper

Look at it this way, It can only get better..... ;D