OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

which one

Started by rock54, May 05, 2013, 02:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rock54

option 1 - new 26inch 870 express with ssx .550 or ic .555

option 2 - new 26inch nova with ssx .550 or ic .555

any edge over the other if shootn the same ammo??

both will be drilld and tappd for scope  and both are 20 gauge....

thanks russ

Brian Stewart

I don't own either so I can't say how they shoot. But you can find a lot more parts and  accessories for the 870. Every choke company makes them and there are all kinds of after market parts for them as well.
But as for me and my family, we will serve the LORD.  Joshua 24:15

remmy1187

Either one will do the job but for me it would without a doubt be an 870 over the nova.

rock54

why 870 over nova...in shootablity ??

not into accessories ! and which choke of the two mentiond and why...   

thanks russ

remmy1187

I have shot both chokes and the IC .555 was way better out of my remmy's than the SSX.

wmd

Quote from: rock54 on May 05, 2013, 06:58:38 PM
why 870 over nova...in shootablity ??

not into accessories ! and which choke of the two mentiond and why...   

thanks russ

What shells you planning to shoot?

Either gun will get the job done, so it will probably just come down to personal preference between the two for you.  I think a quick look of the posts on here would show more folks shooting an 870 than a Nova. I would recommend handling/shooting both, if possible, and deciding which one YOU like better. 

As far as chokes, either should produce killing patterns with Fed HW or Hevi-shot, but I can state with confidence that just because a particular choke performs spectacularly in somebody's gun, doesn't mean you will get the same results in your gun.

Just to muddy the waters further, I shoot Nitro Hevis through an SSX .550 in my 1187 20 and my son shoots Nitro Megaweights through an IC .555 in his 1187 20.  Both gun/shell combos put turkeys on the ground from 10 to 40'ish yards the past two seasons.

WildTigerTrout

Either one is a good choice, but I prefer my Benelli Nova. It's full camo with a 24" barrel. It is lightweight and I like the way it handles.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

surehuntsalot

if it was me,I would have to go with the 870
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

rock54

thanks guys for all your time and imput...

tryn to start this build in the next couple months....

any further info in next couple months, would be great...thnaks russ

SCDieselDawg

I vote for the 870.  I just bought one in 20ga yesterday.  I got to compare it to the Nova and even had my GF handle both and she picked the 870 also.  I would also recommend shooting the Remington Super Full lead only choke with Federal HWT #7s this combo in my dads 1100 LT-20 rivaled most 12 gauges. It also put up some respectable #s with the HWT 6s also.

gophert

I cannot speak of the Nova first hand because I don't have one, but I have 2 870's and here is what I found.

The 870 is going to give you more custom options if you ever wanted to add an adjustable length pistol stock or something like that....and plus, if your patient, you can get it cheap. 

As far as the chokes, both shoot fairly well.  However, the SSX is no where near the consistency of the Indian Creek.  I patterned the SSX with a number of different shells under very controlled situations and it would vary it's pellet count +/- 30 pellets.  When you are dealing with numbers from 110-140 difference between shots, that is NOT acceptable to me.  Murphy's law would always have me shooting a bird slightly out of my range and 110 is what would be coming out of my barrel. 

On the flip side, I have seen the IC .555 shoot a +/- 5 pellets on some of my handloads.  To me that is CRAZY consistent.

Oh and one more thing, the 20 ga Federal HeavyWeight #7's are filled with a much softer wad than the 12 ga loads.  Therefore, you will still get good numbers with ported chokes on the 20 ga shells.  My IC .555 laid down consistent 170's with the Fed #7's at 40.  The 12 ga shells are terrible and is why you only hear of them mostly in the 20 ga section.  It's amazing how that soft wad makes a difference but it does.